Enhancing the Localization Precision in Aircraft Parking Areas of Airports through Advanced Ray-Tracing Techniques
Parking areas in airports where the aircraft is loaded, refueled and boarded, present a high risk of accidents due to the large number of vehicles and people involved in the handling activity. For airport ground surveillance, different technologies are deployed: Radar, CCTV, GPS and Trilateration systems. All these solutions have important limitations when are using for surveillance in apron and stands areas near the terminal buildings. To solve this problem, we propose new algorithms for localization based on fingerprinting techniques that, using the available WLAN infrastructure and the ray-tracing multipath information provided by newFASANT simulation tool, allow increasing accuracy and safety in outdoor areas of the airports.
KeywordsMultipath Effect Fingerprinting Technique Localization Precision Stand Area Handling Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cisco Wireless Location Appliance-Products. Datasheet (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Bahl, P., et al.: Enhancements of the Radar User Location and Tracking System. Microsoft Research Technology (February 2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Kaemarungsi, K., Krishnamurthy, P.: Properties of Indoor Received Signal Strength for WLAN Location Fingerprinting. In: Proc. First Annual International Conf. on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Networking and Services, pp. 14–23 (August 2004)Google Scholar
- 5.del Corte-Valiente, A., Gómez-Pulido, J.M., Gutiérrez-Blanco, O., Cátedra-Pérez, M.F.: Efficient Techniques for Indoor Localization based on WLAN Networks. In: Second International Workshop on User-Centric Technologies and Applications (Madrinet), Salamanca (Spain), pp. 5–15 (October 2008)Google Scholar
- 6.del Corte-Valiente, A., Gómez-Pulido, J.M., Gutiérrez-Blanco, O.: High Precision for Indoor Localization Applications based on Relative Delay and the Fingerprinting Technique. In: Third International Workshop on User-Centric Technologies and Applications (Madrinet), Salamanca (Spain), pp. 25–32 (June 2009)Google Scholar
- 7.del Corte-Valiente, A., Gómez-Pulido, J.M., Gutiérrez-Blanco, O.: Analysis of Fingerprinting Distance Measures for RF Indoor Location Applications Based on WLAN networks. In: Third International Workshop on User-Centric Technologies and Applications (Madrinet), Salamanca (Spain), pp. 12–25 (June 2009)Google Scholar
- 8.del Corte, A., Gómez, J.M., Gutiérrez, O.: Increasing Airport Security with the Development of High Accuracy Location Algorithms based on Ray-tracing Techniques over WLAN Networks. In: International Conference on Electromagnetic in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), Sydney, Australia (September 2010)Google Scholar
- 9.newFASANT Ray-tracing simulation tool, http://www.fasant.com