Image-Enhanced Capsule Endoscopy Preserving the Original Color Tones
- 1.2k Downloads
This paper describes a technique to enhance a region-of- interest (ROI) in a capsule endoscopy (CE) image. Our aim is to improve distinguishing suspicious regions from normal ones without over-enhancing the image. Given a ROI by physicians, the proposed technique enhances the ROI so that the enhanced region remains as natural as possible. To achieve this, we utilize image features relating to a specific color space dedicated to gastrointestinal (GI) wall regions. The proposed approach starts by utilizing a self-organizing map to handle GI wall color components. The goal of preserving the original color tones is obtainable by using a histogram equalization technique in the proposed color space. As a result, the enhanced images only contain color components inferred from the color gamut of the human small bowel. The results of the proposed method are judged in terms of visual appearance by comparison with images obtained by the conventional enhancement technique.
Keywordscapsule endoscopy self-organizing map
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Aschmoneit, I., Schumann, S., et al.: Fice enhanced video capsule endoscopy in patients with suspected small bowel bleeding: A randomized prospective pilot study. In: Proceeding of 18th United European Gastroenterology Week (October 2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Given Imaging Ltd.: RAPID Reader 6.0, http://www.givenimaging.com
- 6.Heckbert, P.: Color image quantization for frame buffer display. Computer Graphics 16(3) (1982)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, B., Meng, M.: Wireless capsule endoscopy images enhancement by tensor based diffusion. In: Proceeding of 26th EMBS (August 2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Li, B., Meng, M.: Wireless CE images enhancement using contrast driven forward and backward anisotropic diffusion. In: Proceeding of ICIP, pp. 437–440 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Mlsna, P.A., Zhang, Q., Rodriguez, J.: 3-d histogram modification of color images. In: Proceeding of ICIP, vol. 3, pp. 1015–1018 (1996)Google Scholar
- 15.Vu, H., Echigo, T., Yagi, K., et al.: Color analysis for segmenting digestive organs in video capsule endoscopy. In: Proceeding of 20th ICPR, pp. 2468–2471 (August 2010)Google Scholar