A Workbench for Internet Traffic Analysis
The specification and development of models for Internet traffic is mainly conducted by measurement-driven performance modeling based upon statistical analysis. Yet, this type of analysis can be a challenging task, due to the complexity and especially, with large sample sizes, the sheer quantity of the data. For this reason, preliminary data examination by graphical means and appropriate visualization techniques can be of great value. In this paper, we present the recent developments of the network traffic analyzer Atheris. Atheris has been designed specifically for measuring network traffic and for the visualization of its inherent properties. As a part of Atheris’ functionality, it performs traffic measurements at the packet layer, data extraction, flow analysis and enables the visual inspection of statistical characteristics.
KeywordsInternet Traffic Sheer Quantity Packet Layer International World Wide Internet Telephony
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.jnetpcap, http://jnetpcap.com/
- 4.Libpcap, http://www.tcpdump.org
- 5.Winpcap, http://www.winpcap.org
- 6.Baset, S., Schulzrinne, H.: An analysis of the Skype peer-to-peer internet telephony protocol. In: INFOCOM 2006, pp. 1–11 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Eittenberger, P.M., Krieger, U.: Atheris: A first step towards a unified peer-to-peer traffic measurement framework. In: 19th Euromicro International Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Computing (PDP 2011), pp. 574–581 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Eittenberger, P.M., Krieger, U., Biernacki, A., Markovich, N.: Integrated measurement and analysis of peer-to-peer streaming traffic by the java tool Atheris. In: P2P 2010, pp. 155–157 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Hei, X., Liang, C., Liang, J., Liu, Y., Ross, K.W.: Insights into PPLive: A measurement study of a large-scale P2P IPTV system. In: Proc. of IPTV Workshop, International World Wide Web Conference (2006)Google Scholar