Similarity Search in Streaming Time Series Based on MP_C Dimensionality Reduction Method
The similarity search problem in streaming time series has become a hot research topic since such data arise in so many applications of various areas. In this problem, the fact that data streams are updated continuously as new data arrive in real time is a challenge due to expensive dimensionality reduction recomputation and index update costs. In this paper, adopting the same ideas of a delayed update policy and an incremental computation from IDC index (Incremental Discrete Fourier Transform(DFT) Computation – Index) we propose a new approach for similarity search in streaming time series by using MP_C as dimensionality reduction method with the support of Skyline index. Our experiments show that our proposed approach for similarity search in streaming time series is more efficient than the IDC-Index in terms of pruning power, normalized CPU cost and recomputation and update time.
KeywordsTime Series Data Discrete Fourier Transform Similarity Search Index Structure Dimensionality Reduction Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beckman, N., Kriegel, H.P., Schneider, R., Seeger, B.: The R*-tree: An Efficient and Robust Access Method for Points and Rectangles. In: Proc. of 1990 ACM-SIGMOD Conf., Atlantic City, NJ, pp. 322–331 (May 1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Guttman, A.: R-trees: a Dynamic Index Structure for Spatial Searching. In: Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management of Data, June 18-21, pp. 47–57 (1984)Google Scholar
- 4.Gao, L., Wang, X.: Continually Evaluating Similarity-Based Pattern Queries on a Streaming Time Series. In: Proc. ACM SIGMOD (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Kontaki, M., Papadopoulos, A.N., Manolopoulos, Y.: Efficient similarity search in streaming time sequences. In: Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management (SSDBM 2004), Santorini, Greece (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Lian, X., Chen, L., Yu, J.X., Wang, G.: Similarity Match over High Speed Time Series Streams. In: Proc. IEEE 23rd International Conference (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, Q., Lopez, I.F.V., Moon, B.: Skyline Index for Time Series Data. IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering 16(6) (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Son, N.T., Anh, D.T.: Time Series Similarity Search based on Middle Points and Clipping. In: Proceedings of the 3rd Conference on Data Mining and Optimization (DMO 2011), Putrajaya, Malaysia, June 28-29, pp. 13–19 (2011)Google Scholar