Development of Orthodontics Computer-Assisted Instruction System
Since orthodontic treatments often requires several years, the aim of the paper is to provide a communication vehicle between patients and dentists prior to the treatment. The paper describes the development of a 3D animation CAI (computer assisted instruction) system, which collects many past orthodontic cases and creates a 3D animation for each case. When an orthodontist encounters a new case, a most-similar past case is selected based on the distance between the new and past cases. The 3D animation of this most similar case, which simulates the procedures like moving and morphing from pre- to post-treatment, is shown to patients. A questionnaire was performed. The results showed that most dentists and patients were satisfied with the method, the precision of the similar cases, and the systems usefulness.
Keywordscomputer-assisted instruction patient education case-based reasoning orthodontics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Corruccini, R.S.: Anthropological aspects of orofacial and occlusal variations and anomalies. In: Kelley, M.A. (ed.) Advances in Dental Anthropology, pp. 295–323. Wiley-Liss, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- 2.Proffit, W.R., Fields, H.W.: Contemporary Orthodontics: A Mosby Title, 3rd edn. (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Yuehai, Y., Jianmin, H., Ruiqiang, Z., Haibo, Q.: Case Based Scheme for ICU. Systems Engineering - Theory & Practice 22(3), 137–142 (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Grigg, P., Stephens, C.D.: Computer-assisted learning in dentistry. A View from the UK. Journal of Dentistry 26(5-6), 387–395 (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Angle, E.H.: Treatment of Malocclusion of the Teeth and Fractures of the Maxillae; Angle’s System: General Books (1990)Google Scholar
- 16.Gelgör, I., Karaman, A., Ercan, E.: Prevalence of malocclusion among adolescents in central anatolia. European Journal of Dentistry 1(3), 125–131 (2007)Google Scholar
- 17.Komolpis, R., Johnson, R.: Web-based orthodontic instruction and assessment. Journal of Dental Education 66(5), 650–658 (2002)Google Scholar
- 20.Abu Alhaija, E.S.J., Al-Khateeb, S.N., Al-Nimri, K.: Prevalence of malocclusion in 13-15 year-old North Jordanian school children. Community Dent. Hlth. 22(4), 266–271 (2005)Google Scholar
- 21.AlKofide, E.A., AlNamankani, E.: The association between posture of the head and malocclusion in Saudi subjects. Cranio 25(2), 98–105 (2007)Google Scholar
- 26.Cheng, H.C., Chiou, W.Y.: A Textbook of Basic Orthodontics. HO-CHI book publishing Co., Taipei (1990)Google Scholar