A Development and Evaluation of Web-Based Annotation and Virtual Composing System for Video of Stream Type
Video of stream type has been widespread used for various educational applications. Nevertheless, the teachers encounter many difficulties when integrating it into instruction, above all, in blended learning. Especially, video composing and annotation are essential and tedious tasks for the teachers before conducting their video-based teaching. In order to avoid the previous dilemma, the main purpose of this study was to develop a web-based annotation and virtual composing system for stream type video materials. The system was named after “etTube (Easy Teaching Tube)”. The etTube system provides divergent kinds of annotation including text-based annotation, voice annotation drawing annotation, static and dynamic overlay image annotation. Specified by the users in this system, the virtual video composition will be easily formed and shared. After conducting a field testing in elementary schools, the participants give a high appraisal on the educational applications of this system.
KeywordsVideo annotation Virtual composing Flash video SMIL Blended learning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Jhan, C.-L., Chen, M.-H., Wu, J.-W.: System construction of video annotation with knowledge sharing model. In: The Conference of Digital Achieves Integrating into Instruction (2006) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 3.Pan, S.-J.: Research on the learning effect of multimedia annotation tool applied to procedural knowledge. Master thesis of National Central University (2006) (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 4.Hsu, Y.-C.: Developing RDF-based Semantic Annotations for Image Resources Management. Master thesis of Chung Yuan Christian University (2006) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 5.ODP (the Office for Domestic Preparedness), Approach for Blended Learning, http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/odp/blendedlearning/odp.htm (retrieved September 20, 2007)
- 6.Wolfe, J.L.: Effects of Annotations on Student Readers and Writers. In: Proceedings of the Fifth ACM Conference on Digital libraries (2000), http://portal.acm.org
- 7.Zhai, G., Fox, G., Pierce, M., Wu, W., Bulut, H.: eSports: Collaborative and Synchronous Video Annotation System in Grid Computing Environment. In: Seventh IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Red5: Open Source Flash Server Open Source Flash, http://osflash.org/red5 (retrieved September 20, 2007)
- 9.JW MEDIA PLAYER 3.13, http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_Media_Player (retrieved September 20, 2007)