My ADT Shrine
The 20th WADT 2010 is put into perspective by giving afterglows of the 1st WADT 1982 in Langscheid near Dortmund, and the 10th WADT 1994 in Santa Margherita near Genova. First encounters with pioneers in the field are recalled, in particular with the ADJ group who initiated the initial-algebra approach. The author’s contributions at that time are put in this context. Around 1982, the emphasis of his work moved to databases and information systems, in particular conceptual modeling. His group used a triple of layers to model information systems, data—objects—systems, where the focus of interest now was on objects and systems. The interest in data issues paled in comparison. There were cases, however, where benefits could be drawn from the early work on ADTs and the foundations established in this field.
KeywordsIsomorphism Class Operational Semantic Domain Equation Abstract Data Type Initial Algebra
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Burstall, R.M., Goguen, J.A.: Putting Theories Together to Make Specifications. In: Proc. 5th IJCAI, pp. 1045–1058. MIT, Cambridge (1977)Google Scholar
- 5.Common Framework Initiative (CoFI), http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/cofi/wiki/index.php/CoFI
- 17.Goguen, J.A.: Objects. International Journal of General Systems, 1563-5104 1, 237–243 (1974)Google Scholar
- 18.Goguen, J.A.: Some Design Principles and Theory for OBJ-0. In: Yeh, R. (ed.) LNCS, vol. 75, pp. 425–475. Prentice-Hall (1979)Google Scholar
- 19.Goguen, J.A., Thatcher, J.W., Wagner, E.G.: An Initial Algebra Approach to the Specification, Correctness and Implementation of Abstract Data Types. In: Yeh, R. (ed.) Current Trends in Programming Methodology IV, pp. 80–149. Prentice-Hall (1978)Google Scholar
- 21.Loeckx, J., Ehrich, H.-D., Wolf, M.: Specification of Abstract Data Types. J. Wiley & Sons and B.G. Teubner Publishers (1996)Google Scholar
- 24.Smyth, M.B., Plotkin, G.D.: The Category-Theoretic Solution of Recursive Domain Equations. In: Proc. 18th IEEE FOCS, pp. 13–17 (1977)Google Scholar