Constructing Cluster of Simple FPGA Boards for Cryptologic Computations
In this paper, we propose an FPGA cluster infrastructure, which can be utilized in implementing cryptanalytic attacks and accelerating cryptographic operations. The cluster can be formed using simple and inexpensive, off-the-shelf FPGA boards featuring an FPGA device, local storage, CPLD, and network connection. Forming the cluster is simple and no effort for the hardware development is needed except for the hardware design for the actual computation. Using a softcore processor on FPGA, we are able to configure FPGA devices dynamically and change their configuration on the fly from a remote computer. The softcore on FPGA can execute relatively complicated programs for mundane tasks unworthy of FPGA resources. Finally, we propose and implement a fast and efficient dynamic configuration switch technique that is shown to be useful especially in cryptanalytic applications. Our infrastructure provides a cost-effective alternative for formerly proposed cryptanalytic engines based on FPGA devices.
KeywordsCluster Head Elliptic Curve Block Cipher Discrete Logarithm Problem FPGA Device
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Kumar, S., Paar, C., Pelzl, J., Pfeiffer, G., Schimmler, M.: Copacobana a cost-optimized special-purpose hardware for code-breaking. In: FCCM, pp. 311–312. IEEE Computer Society (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Güneysu, T., Paar, C., Pelzl, J.: Special-purpose hardware for solving the elliptic curve discrete logarithm problem. TRETS 1 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Güneysu, T., Paar, C., Pfeiffer, G., Schimmler, M.: Enhancing copacobana for advanced applications in cryptography and cryptanalysis. In: FPL, pp. 675–678. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Xilinx: MicroBlaze Soft Processor Core (2011), http://www.xilinx.com/tools/microblaze.htm
- 7.Xilinx: Spartan-3E Starter Kit (2011), http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/HW-SPAR3E-SK-US-G.htm
- 8.Helion: High Performance AES (Rijndael) cores for Xilinx FPGA (2011), http://www.heliontech.com/aes.htm
- 12.Joye, M., Tibouchi, M., Vergnaud, D.: Huff’s model for elliptic curves. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2010/383 (2010), http://eprint.iacr.org/
- 13.Shoup, V.: NTL: a library for doing number theory (2011), http://www.shoup.net/ntl/ (last accessed)