Optimization Analysis for Louver Fin Heat Exchangers
The present study is aimed at optimization of the geometers of the fin-and-tube heat exchanger with louver fin through numerical simulation. The optimization is carried out by using the simplified conjugate-gradient method (SCGM) is adopted for solving the optimal problem. Using the optimizer, the louver angle of louvered fin is adjusted toward the maximization of the performance of the heat exchanger. It is also shown that the maximum of area reduction ratios at the louver fin for ReLp 100 – 400 with Lp = 1 mm. For the louver pitches, the following correlations for the optimal louver angle are derived, based on Reynolds number ReLp ranging from 100 to 400. The results indicate the optimal louver angle applied in heat exchangers can effectively enhance the heat transfer performance. Thus, the correlations is derived that can be applied to the design of heat exchangers.
KeywordsHeat Exchanger Heat Transfer Performance Tube Heat Exchanger Commercial Computational Fluid Dynamic Code Good Heat Transfer Performance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kays, W.M., London, A.L.: Heat transfer and flow friction characteristics of some compact heat exchanger surfaces-Part I: Test system and procedure. Trans. ASME 72, 1075–1085 (1950)Google Scholar
- 2.Davenport, C.J.: Correlations for heat transfer and flow friction characteristics of louvred fin. In: AIChE Symposium Series, pp. 19–27 (1983)Google Scholar
- 3.Achaichia, A.: The performance of louvered tube-and-plate fin heat transfer surface. PhD thesis, Department of Mechanical and Production Engineering, Brighton Polytechnic (1987)Google Scholar
- 4.Webb, R.L., Jung, S.H.: Air side performance of enhanced brazed aluminum heat exchangers. ASHRAE Trans. 98, 391–401 (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Suga, K., Aoki, H.: Numerical study on heat transfer and pressure drop in multilouvered fins. In: Proc. of ASME/JSME Thermal Eng. Joint Conf., vol. 4, pp. 361–368 (1991)Google Scholar
- 6.Jang, J.Y., Shieh, K.P., Ay, H.: 3-D thermal-hydraulic analysis in convex louver finned -tube heat exchangers. In: ASHRAE Annual Meeting, Cincinnati, OH, USA, June 22–27, pp. 501–509 (2001)Google Scholar