Hierarchical Codes in Bandwidth-Limited Distributed Storage Systems
Distributed storage systems store data on the “unreliable” network peers that can leave the system at any moment and their network bandwidth is limited. In this case, the only way to assure reliability of the data is to add redundancy using either replication or erasure codes. As a generalization of replication, erasure codes require less storage space with the same reliability as replication. Recently, a near-optimal erasure code named Hierarchical Codes, has been proposed that can significantly reduce the repair traffic by reducing the number of nodes participating in repair, which is referred to as repair degree d. To overcome the complexity of reintegration and efficiently control the reliability of Hierarchical Codes, we refine two concepts called location and relocation, then we propose an integrated maintenance scheme, which allow us to tune the code construction.
KeywordsNetwork Bandwidth Erasure Code Code Construction Real Trace Code Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lin, W.K., Chiu, D.M., Lee, Y.B.: In: P2P 2004: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing, pp. 90–97. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA (2004)Google Scholar
- Rodrigues, R., Liskov, B.: In: Peer-to-Peer Systems IV 4th International Workshop IPTPS, Ithaca, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- Pamies-Juarez, L., Garcia-Lopez, P., Sanchez-Artigas, M.: In: Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing, P2P (2010)Google Scholar
- Duminuco, A., Biersack, E.W.: Journal of Peer-to-Peer Networks and Applications 2 (March 2009)Google Scholar
- Monteiro, J.G.: Modeling and analysis of reliable peer-to-peer storage systems. Ph.D. thesis, INRIA (2010)Google Scholar
- Dimakis, A.G., Godfrey, B., Wu, Y., Wainwright, M.J., Ramchandran, K.: Computer Research Repository (CoRR) (2008); arXiv:0803.0632v1 http://arxiv.org/abs/0803.0632
- Acedacnski, S., Deb, S., Medard, M., Koetter, R.: NETCOD (2005)Google Scholar
- Godfrey, B.: Repository of Availability Traces (2006), http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~pbg/availability/