A State Oriented Buffer Control Mechanism for the Priority-Based Congestion Control Algorithm in WSNs
In the multiple-event WSNs, each event has different importance and most of the congestions are caused by the burst events with high importance. Therefore, the priority-based congestion control algorithm is required to WSNs. Most of the existing algorithms to control the congestions of the WSNs do not consider the priorities of the events. In addition, the existing algorithms rely on the rate control of source nodes using the backpressure mechanism but it is not efficient for the dynamic applications (ex. Tracking application). Therefore, we proposed a new algorithm that uses the queue state management and duty-cycle adjustment. This new algorithm tries to prevent the congestion previously and adjusts the duty-cycle to guarantee the reliability of the important events. The simulation results show that the proposed algorithm performs better than the existing algorithm in both of the static case and dynamic case.
KeywordsWSN congestion control priority-based backpressure queue state management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ee, C.T., Bajcsy, R.: Congestion control and Fairness for Many-to-one routing in sensor networks. In: Proc. Second Int’l Conf. Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (ACM SenSys 2004) (November 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Wan, C.-Y., Eisenman, S.B.: CODA: Congestion Detection and Avoidance in Sensor Networks. In: Pro. First Int’l Conf. Embedded Networked Sensor System (ACM Sensys 2003) (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Wang, C., Sohraby, K., Daneshmand, M., Hu, Y.: Upstream Congestion Control in Wireless Sensor Networks Through Cross-Layer Optimization. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 25(4) Google Scholar
- 4.Sankarasubramaniam, Y., Akan, O.B.: ESRT:Event-to-Sink Reliable Transport in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: MobiHoc (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Patro, R.K., Raina, M., Ganapathy, V., Shanaiah, M., Thejaswi, C.: Analysis and improvement of contention access protocol in IEEE802.15.4 star network. Mobile Adhoc and Sensor Systems (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Sung, Y., Youn, M.J., Lee, J.: A precautionary congestion control scheme in WSNs: Cross layer approach. In: ITC-CSCC, Shimonoseki, Japan (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Youn, M., Lee, J.: A Cross Layered Protocol Using Back-off Time in Wireless Sensor Networks. UKC (2007)Google Scholar