Mobility Support in IPv4/v6 Network
IETF has specified Mobile IPv4 and Mobile IPv6 in RFC3344 and RFC3775 respectively, but not yet discussed Mobile IPv4/v6 in any published RFC. This paper proposes a solution to Mobile IPv4/v6 problems. In the solution, a gateway called Mobile IPv4/v6 translation gateway (MIPv4/v6-TG) is introduced to bridge between IPv4 network and IPv6 network, which is made up of a traditional NAT-PT gateway and a Mobile IP application level gateway (MIP-ALG) built upon the NAT-PT gateway. MIP-ALG maintains MIP table, a data structure, which is formed by entries. We use the MIP table to realize the communication between the IPv4 entities and the IPv6 entities. The creation, usage and update processes of MIP table are described in this paper. Through the experiment we find that the MIPv4/v6-TG can realize the basic communication in IPv4/v6 mixed network. The measurement of performance test proves the solution’s efficiency. And it can work compatibly with RFC3344 and RFC3775.
KeywordsMobile IP NAT-PT Mobile IP application level gateway (MIP-ALG) Mobile IPv4/v6 translation gateway (MIPv4/v6-TG) MIP Table
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Perkins, C.E. (ed.): IP Mobility Support for IPv4. RFC3344, IETF (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Perkins, C.E.(ed.): Mobility Support in IPv6. RFC3775, IETF (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Nordmark, E.: Basic Transition Mechanisms for IPv6 Hosts and Routers. RFC4219, IETF (October 2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Durand, A.: IPv6 Tunnel Broker. RFC3053, IETF (January 2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Nordmark, E.: Stateless IP/ICMP Translation Algorithm (SIIT). RFC2765, IETF (February 2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Tsirtsis, G., Srisuresh, P.: Network Address Translation-Protocol Translation (NAT-PT). RFC2776, IETF (February 2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, J.C.: Considerations for Mobility Support in NAT-PT. Internet Draft, IETF (June 2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Liu, C.: Support mobile IPv6 in IPv4 domains. In: IEEE 59th Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC 2004-Spring (2004)Google Scholar