On Models of Concepts and Data
Bernhard Thalheim’s landmark book titled “Entity-Relationship Modeling: Foundations of Database Technology”  starts with listings of weaknesses and strengths of contemporary approaches to database models. His analysis is as valid today as when it was published in 2000. An important feature of Information Systems Engineering is the need to master software and data systems complexity while at the same time being able to present design details in a comprehensible way. The trend towards embedded systems necessitates that software and data models must be integrated with models of the application domains, be they technical, organizational, people centered or a mixture thereof. What follows is a discussion of possible underlying causes of the weaknesses as stated by Bernhard Thalheim, as well as proposals to approaches for removing the weaknesses.
KeywordsData Semantic Information System Engineering Information System Engineer Modeling Regime Usage Domain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bunge, M.: The Philosophy of Science. Transaction Publishers (1998) ISBN 0-7658-0415-8Google Scholar
- 3.Krogstie, J., Opdahl, A.L., Brinkkemper, S. (eds.): Conceptual Modeling in Information Systems Engineering. Springer, Heidelberg (2007) ISBN 978-3-540-72676-0Google Scholar
- 4.Lehman, M.M.: Programs, life cycles, and laws of software evolution. Proceedings of the IEEE, 1060–1076 (September 1980)Google Scholar
- 5.Nurcan, S., Salinesi, C., Souveyet, C., Ralyté, J. (eds.): Intentional Perspectives on Information Systems Engineering. Springer, Heidelberg (2010) ISBN 978-3-642-12543-0 Google Scholar
- 6.Ogden, C.K., Richards, I.A. (eds.): The meaning of meaning. Kegan, Paul, Trench, Trubner, London (1923)Google Scholar
- 7.Soros, G.: The Alchemy of Finance. Simon & Schuster (1988); ISBN 0-671-66338-4, paperback: pp 49–51. Wiley (2003) ISBN 0-471-44549-5)Google Scholar
- 8.Sølvberg, A.: On Roles of Models in Information Systems. In: , pp. 17–38Google Scholar
- 10.Thalheim, B.: Challenges to Conceptual Modeling. In: , pp. 58–74Google Scholar
- 11.ANSI/NISO Z39.19-1993: Guidelines for the Construction, Format, and Management of Monolingual Thesauri, ISBN 1-880124-04-1Google Scholar
- 12.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflexivity_social_theory (accessed July 15, 2011)
- 13.http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mereology/ (accessed July 15, 2011)