OSM-Logic: A Fact-Oriented, Time-Dependent Formalization of Object-oriented Systems Modeling
The lack of fact-oriented, time-dependent formalizations of conceptual models leads to difficulties in inspecting and reasoning about system properties and predicting future behavior from past behavior. We can better serve these needs by formalized conceptualizations that more closely match the demands of such applications. We therefore set forth in this chapter a fact-oriented, time-dependent formalism, called OSM-Logic, for object existence, object interrelationships, object behavior, and object interaction. OSM-Logic is formally grounded in predicate calculus, and is thus mathematically sound and well defined.
KeywordsTemporal Relation Predicate Symbol Ready Phase Inactive Phase Object Behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ACM]ACM-L-2010 workshop (2010), http://www.cs.uta.fi/conferences/acm-l-2010/
- [CEW92]Clyde, S.W., Embley, D.W., Woodfield, S.N.: The complete formal definition for the syntax and semantics of OSA. Technical Report BYU-CS-92-2, Department of Computer Science, Brigham Young University (February 1992)Google Scholar
- [CLN98]Calvanese, D., Lenzerini, M., Nardi, D.: Description logics for conceptual data modeling. In: Chomicki, J., Saake, G. (eds.) Logics for Databases and Information Systems, pp. 229–263. Kluwer (1998)Google Scholar
- [Cly93]Clyde, S.W.: An Initial Theoretical Foundation for Object-Oriented Systems Analysis and Design. PhD thesis, Brigham Young University (1993)Google Scholar
- [EKW92]Embley, D.W., Kurtz, B.D., Woodfield, S.N.: Object-oriented Systems Analysis: A Model-Driven Approach. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1992)Google Scholar
- [HM08]Halpin, T.A., Morgan, T.: Information Modeling and Relational Databases, 2nd edn. Morgan Kaufmann, Burlington (2008)Google Scholar
- [IAR]Knowledge discovery and dissemination program., http://www.iarpa.gov/-solicitations_kdd.html/
- [ORM]The ORM Foundation, http://www.ormfoundation.org
- [PM07]Pastor, O., Molina, J.C.: Model-Driven Architecture in Practice: A Software Production Environment Based on Conceptual Modeling. Springer, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- [UML]OMG: Documents associated with UML version 2.3, http://www.omg.org/-spec/UML/2.3/
- [YK58]Young, J.W., Kent, H.K.: Abstract formulation of data processing problems. The Journal of Industrial Engineering 9(6), 471–479 (1958)Google Scholar