Mathematical Modeling of Irregular Integrated Optical Waveguides
The paper presents the formulation of the dispersion relations for regular planar waveguides and smoothly irregular integrated optical waveguides in forms of elementary continuous functions. The stable algorithm for computing the roots of the dispersion relations for regular and irregular waveguides, which is applicable in the case of real and complex coefficients of the phase retardation of waveguide modes, is developed. The theoretical and numerical method for studying the characteristics of inhomogeneous waveguide modes in the overcritical regimes is elaborated.
In contrast to the zero approximation of the adiabatic modes method, and moreover to the method of comparison waveguides, the fields of irregular waveguide modes of an integrated optical waveguide in the first approximation are described by a pair of equations of coupled oscillators allowing resonance solutions.
Keywordsirregular integrated optical waveguide method of adiabatic modes complex-valued dispersion relatieus stable numerical algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adams, A.: Introduction to the theory of optical waveguides. Mir Publ., Moscow (1984) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 2.Ayrjan, E.A., Egorov, A.A., Michuk, E.N., Sevastyanov, A.L., Sevastyanov, L.A., Stavtsev, A.V.: Representations of guided modes of integrated-optical multilayer thin-film waveguides. Preprint JINR, Dubna, E11-2011-31, 56 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Ayrjan, E.A., Egorov, A.A., Sevastyanov, A.L., Lovetskiy, K.P., Sevastyanov, L.A.: Zero Approximation of Vector Model for Smoothly Irregular Optical Waveguide. Preprint JINR, Dubna, E11-2009-120, 22 (2009) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 7.Egorov, A.A., Sevastyanov, A.L., Lovetskiy, K.P.: Zero Approximation Model of Integrated-Optical Generalized Luneburg Lens. Bulletin of PFUR. Series Mathematics. Computer science. Physics. (3), 55–64 (2009) (in Russian) Google Scholar
- 8.Egorov, A.A., Sevastyanov, L.A., Sevastyanov, A.L.: Investigation of electrodynamic properties of a planar thin-film Luneberg lens. Journ. of Radioelectronics (6), 1–20 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Egorov, A.A., Sevastyanov, L.A., Sevastyanov, A.L., Lovetski, K.P.: Propagation of electromagnetic waves in thin-film structures with smoothly irregular sections. In: ICO Topical Meeting on Optoinformatics/Information Photonics, September 15–18, pp. 231–234. ITMO, St. Petersburg (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Il’insky, A.S., Kravtsov, V.V., Sveshnikov, A.G.: Mathematical models of electrodynamics. Vysshaya schkola, Moscow (1991) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 12.Marcuse, D.: Light Transmission Optics. Van Nostrand, New York (1972)Google Scholar
- 13.Romanenko, A.A., Sotsky, A.B.: The solution of the dispersion relations for planar waveguides in the case of complex roots. Journ. Techn. Phys. 68(4), 88–95 (1998)Google Scholar
- 14.Sevastyanov, L.A.: A complete system of modes of open planar waveguide. In: Proc. VI Internat. Sci.-Tech. Conf. “Lasers in Sci., Tech. and Med.”, pp. 72–76. IRE RAN Publ., Suzdal (1995)Google Scholar
- 16.Shevchenko, V.V.: On the spectral decomposition in eigenfunctions and associated functions of a nonself-adjoint Sturm-Liouville problem on the whole axis. Diff. Eqs. 15, 2004–2020 (1979)Google Scholar
- 17.Snyder, A., Love, J.: Optical Waveguide Theory. Radio Commun., Moscow (1987) (in Russian)Google Scholar