Towards Verification as a Service
Modern software systems are highly configurable and evolve over time. Simultaneously, they have high demands on their correctness and trustworthiness. Formal verification technique are a means to ensure critical system requirements, but still require a lot of computation power and manual intervention. In this paper, we argue that formal verification processes can be cast as workflows known from business process modeling. Single steps in the verification process constitute verification tasks which can be flexibly combined to verification workflows. The verification tasks can be carried out using designated services which are provided by highly scalable computing platforms, such as cloud computing environments. Verification workflows share the characteristics of business processes such that well-established results and tool support from workflow modeling, management and analysis are directly applicable. System evolution causing re-verification is supported by workflow adaptation techniques such that previously established verification results can be reused.
KeywordsCloud Computing Business Process Model Check Service Level Agreement Software Product Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bensalem, S., Ganesh, V., Lakhnech, Y., Munoz, C., Owre, S., Ruess, H., Rushby, J., Rusu, V., Saidi, H., Shankar, N., Singerman, E., Tiwari, A.: An Overview of SAL. In: Fifth NASA Langley Formal Methods Workshop (LFM), pp. 187–196 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Clarke, E., Grumberg, O., Peled, D.: Model Checking. MIT Press (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Hollingsworth, D.: The workflow reference model. Technical report, WfMC, Document TC-1003 (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Kupferman, O., Vardi, M.: Modular Model Checking. In: Compositionality: The Significant Difference, Int’l Symposium, pp. 381–401 (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Lamprecht, A.-L., Margaria, T., Steffen, B.: Bio-jETI: a framework for semantics-based service composition. BMC Bioinformatics (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Sauer, T., Minor, M., Bergmann, R.: Inverse workflows for supporting agile business process management. In: Proceedings of the 6th Conference on Professional Knowledge Management. LNI, vol. 182, pp. 204–213 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Schaefer, I.: Integrating Formal Verification into the Model-based Development for Adaptive Embedded Systems. PhD thesis, University of Kaiserslautern (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.van der Aalst, W.M.P., van Hee, K.: Workflow Management: Models, Methods and Systems. MIT Press (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Zhang, L.-J., Zhang, J., Cai, H.: Services Computing. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar