The Multimedia Archive of the Fondazione Isabella Scelsi
This paper documents and summarizes the (still ongoing) work concerning the digital recovery of the complete archive of documents which constitute the legacy of the late composer Giacinto Scelsi (1905-1988). This recovery has a number of peculiarities which are mostly related to the variety of document typologies which constitute the archive. In particular, the archive contains several hundred tapes and just short of 80 aluminum-lacquer discs which have been used directly by the composer in his compositional processes. These audio documents constitute an extremely important source of musicological investigation to discover the compositional methodologies used by Scelsi, most of which are not quite understood today. The specific archival procedure and model used are then described and future work is outlined at the end.
KeywordsMagnetic Tape Compositional Process Content Management System Agile Software Development Tape Speed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fondazione Isabella Scelsi, Atto Costitutivo (21 gennaio 1987)Google Scholar
- 2.Castanet, P.A., Cisternino, N. (eds.): Giacinto Scelsi, Viaggio al centro del suono. Luna Editore, La Spezia, 2nd edn. (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Fourier, L.: Jean–Jacques Perrey and the Ondioline. Computer Music Journal 18(4) (Winter 1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Freeman, R.: Tanmatras: The Life and Work of Giacinto Scelsi. Tempo (176), 8–18 (March 1991)Google Scholar
- 6.Martinis, L., Pellegrini, A.C. (eds.): Giacinto Scelsi: Il sogno 101. Quodlibet, Macerata (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Metzger, H.K.: Das Unbekannte in der Musik. Musik–Konzepte 10(31) (May 1983)Google Scholar