A Case Study for the Development of Methods to Improve User Engagement with Digital Cultural Heritage Collections
The aim of this paper is to report the results of an ongoing project that deals with the exploitation of a digital archive of drawings and illustrations of historic documents for research and educational purposes. A prototype system, called IPSA (Imaginum Patavinae Scientiae Archivum), has been developed and is currently used as a case study to provide innovative tools for researchers and scholars active in the preservation and dissemination of cultural heritage. After describing the initial user requirements that motivated the development of IPSA, we focus on the research questions that can be addressed by new system functions and on its extension to additional user groups, including students, experts in other domains, and the general public.
KeywordsCultural Heritage Digital Library Prototype System User Requirement Digital Archive
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mariani Canova, G.: Hyginus De Astronomia. In: The Splendor of the Word. Medieval and Renaissance Illuminated Manuscripts at the New York Public Library, pp. 337–339. Harvey Miller, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Agosti, M., Ferro, N., Orio, N.: Annotating Illuminated Manuscripts: an Effective Tool for Research and Education. In: Marlino, M., Sumner, T., Shipman III, F.M. (eds.) Proc. 5th ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL 2005), pp. 121–130. ACM Press, New York (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Agosti, M., Ferro, N., Orio, N.: Graph-based Automatic Suggestion of Relationships among Images of Illuminated Manuscripts. In: Haddad, H. (ed.) SAC, pp. 1063–1067. ACM (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Agosti, M., Masotti, M.: Design and functions of DUO: the first Italian academic OPAC. In: Berghel, H., Deaton, E., Hedrick, G., Roach, D., Wainwright, R. (eds.) SAC 1992: Proceedings of the 1992 ACM/SIGAPP Symposium on Applied Computing: Technological Challenges of the 1990’s, pp. 308–313. ACM, New York (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Agosti, M., Bombi, F., Melucci, M., Mian, G.A.: Towards a digital library for the venetian music of the eighteenth century. In: Proc. of Third International Conference on Digital Resources in the Humanities (DRH 1998), pp. 75–77. The Humanities Advanced Technology and Information Institute, Glasgow (1998)Google Scholar