Edge Detection from Remote Sensing Images Based on Canny Operator and Hough Transform
At present, the widespread edge detection algorithms, such as Roberts edge detection, Prewitt edge detection, Sobel edge detection and Marr edge detection, detect the edge using the variation of one-order or two-order directional derivative near to the edge usually. As a result, the noises can be detected in the image regarding as the edge points, and the real edge maybe missed due to noise interference. Because the remote sensing images have a disadvantage of containing noises, the better detecting results are difficult to obtain using the above edge detection algorithms. Combined with the characteristics of remote sensing images, including rich edge information and a lot of noise mixed, this paper present a edge detection algorithm for remote sensing based on the Canny operator and Hough Transform. From the experiment introduced in the paper, the proposed edge detection algorithm has some noise immunity, and can explore the edge information accurately in the remote sensing image.
KeywordsEdge Detection Canny Operator Hough Transform Noise Remote Sensing Images
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shi, W.Z., Zhu, C.Q., Wang, Y.: Road Feature Extraction from Remotely Sensed Image: Review and Prospects. Acta Geodaetica Et Cartographica Sinica 30(3), 257–262 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Shen, Y.: Research on edge detection technique based on morphological. University of Electronic Science and Technology (master thesis), Chengdu (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Yang, S.B.: Introduction of image edge detection technology. Journal of Wuhan Institute of Chemical Technology 22(1), 73–76 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhou, S.G., Xu, Y.: To Extract Roads with No Clear and Continuous Boundaries in RS Images. Acta Geodaetica Et Cartographica Sinica 37(3), 301–307 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Jia, Y.H.: Digital image process. Wuhan University Press, Wuhan (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, Z.S., Li, C.H.: Improved Classical Hough Transform Applied to Building Detection and Recognition. Journal of Image and Graphics 10(4), 463–467 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Wu, Z.C., Wan, Q.T., Liang, J., Zhou, Z.: Line Detection in Remote Sensing Images Using Hough Transform Based on Granular Computing. Geomatics and Information Science of Wuhan University 32(10), 860–863 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Thomas, M.L., Ralph, W.K.: Remote Sensing and Image Interpretation. Publishing House of Electronics Industry, Beijing (2003)Google Scholar