Optimizing the Network Topology in Gnutella P2P Networks
We first introduce the searching mechanism in Gnutella peer-to-peer (P2P) networks, and then analyze the poor scalability in such networks. To improve the search performance of Gnutella networks, we propose a new method which is used to dynamically optimize the network topology. The simulation results show that the policy can effectively reduce the network resources consumption and optimize the load-balance between nodes, and then improve the scalability of Gnutella network and the search efficiency.
KeywordsGnutella search efficiency network topology load-balance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Napster Corporation, http://www.napster.com/pressroom/001013.html
- 2.Gnutella development forum. The Gnutella v0.6 Protocol (2001), http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_gdf/files/
- 3.Gomes. Gnutella keeps growing and growing. WSJ Interactive Edition, http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2766234,00.html
- 4.Ripeanu, M., Foster, I.: Mapping Gnutella Network. IEEE Internet Computing, 50–57 (January/February 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Scipanidkulchai, K., Maggs, B., Zhang, H.: Efficient Content Location Using Interest-Based Locality in Peer-to-Peer Systems. In: Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM (March 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Lv, Q., Ratnasamy, S., Shenker, S.: Can Heterogeneity Make Gnutella Scalable? In: Druschel, P., Kaashoek, M.F., Rowstron, A. (eds.) IPTPS 2002. LNCS, vol. 2429, pp. 94–103. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar