Building Brands with Music: Australian Cases
Music is a powerful medium of communication, evoking both strong emotions and stimulating the senses. Not surprisingly music has become an important component of effective brands. This chapter examines the links between music and brands using three Australian case studies: Wolf Blass, Qantas, and the television show Offspring. The three case studies presented illustrate the role that music can play in fostering brand knowledge transfer at all levels, at developing emotional ties between the brand and the consumer and among consumers in the brand community, in defining and differentiating brand personality, and in weaving the brand into the thoughts, feelings, emotions and daily experiences of consumers. However, it is important to note that congruency with both brand image and self-identity are core to the success of any attempt to use music as the emotional link between brands and consumers.
KeywordsEmotional Bond Emotional Connection Television Advertisement Brand Personality Parent Brand
- ABC News. (2010). Powderfinger gig takes to the skies. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-10-28/powderfinger-gig-takes-to-the-skies/2315598. Accessed 28 Oct 2012.
- Atfield, C. (2010). Powderfinger to get high … very high. Brisbane Times. http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/entertainment/music/powderfinger-to-get-high--very-high-20100927-15t1a.html. Accessed 27 Sept 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). (2011). 2011 census QuickStats: Fitzroy. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2011/quickstat/206071142?opendocument&navpos=220. Accessed 14 Aug 2012.
- Campaign Brief. (2011). DDB Melbourne unveils first global ‘Enjoy the View’ integrated campaign for Wolf Blass. http://www.campaignbrief.com/2011/08/ddb-melbourne-unveils-first-gl.html. Accessed 24 Aug 2012
- Cant, J. (2010). Music in advertising. http://www.atmmarketing.com.au/blog/166/brands/music-in-advertising/. Accessed 11 Sept 2012.
- Coca Cola Australia. (2012). In Facebook [Share a Coke Page]. https://www.facebook.com/CocaColaAustralia/app_410724872324297. Accessed 15 Oct 2012.
- Dunn, C. (2012). The great Heston Blumenthal. http://www.wolfblasswines.com/en/From-Our-Winery/Our-Winemakers-Blog/2012/06/28/Music-Wine-and-Heston-Blumenthal.aspx. Accessed 25 Aug 2012.
- Elliott, C. (2006). Considering the connoisseur: Probing the language of taste. Canadian Review of American Studies, 36(2), 229–236.Google Scholar
- Fitzroy Victoria. (n.d.). (2012). Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzroy,_Victoria. Accessed 20 Oct 2012.
- Knight, E. (2011). Is Australia still home for Qantas? Sydney Morning Herald. http://www.smh.com.au/business/is-australia-still-home-for-qantas-20110816-1ivl5.html. Accessed 16 Aug 2012.
- Marton, S. (2004). Wolf Blass: Where eagles dare, creating a premium global wine brand. Paper presented at the ABN-AMRO Australian Wine Conference. www.fostersgroup.com/common/files/WolfBlass_press.pdf. Accessed 11 Sept 2012.
- Oswald, D. (Writer), Edwards, J., & Banks, I. (Directors). (2011). Offspring [iTunes download]. In Offspring. http://itunes.apple.com/au/tv-season/offspring-season-2/id429848583. Accessed 14 September 2012.
- Powderfinger. (2012). Jetstar and Powderfinger announce joint charity support for Sunsets Farewell Tour. http://www.powderfinger.com/news/detail/index_html?content_id=41718. Accessed 12 Sept 2012.
- Qantas. (2012a). Qantas’ new campaign: The tale of two letters [Video file]. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-2BlaVxSKE&feature=youtu.be. Accessed 28 June 2012.
- Qantas. (2012b). Atlas [Video file]. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-9MIvUOcxE. Accessed 19 July 2012.
- Qantas. (2012c). Making of Qantas’ TV Commercial ‘You’re the reason we fly’ [Video file]. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI3_RfaQ8ig&feature=youtu.be. Accessed 27 July 2012.
- Qantas. (2012d). You are the reason we fly. http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/youre-the-reason-we-fly/global/en. Accessed 13 Sept 2012.
- Qantas. (2012e). You are the reason we fly. Find someone you know. http://www.qantasyou.com/#home. Accessed 13 Sept 2012.
- Qantas. (2012f). I still call Australia Home. http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/i-still-call-australia-home/global/en. Accessed 13 Sept 2012.
- Smith, K. H., & Marsh, I. (2007). Wine and economic development: Technological and corporate change in the Australian wine industry. International Journal of Technology and Globalisation, 3(2/3), 224–245.Google Scholar
- Ten. (2012). The music of offspring: Your questions answered. http://ten.com.au/offspring-music-interview-jess-moore. Accessed 20 Oct 2012.
- The Chaser. (2007). Chaser Qantas Ad [Video file]. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WSJop5sG2c. Accessed 20 Oct 2012.
- Timeout Melbourne. (2012). Melbourne on TV: Offspring. http://www.au.timeout.com/melbourne/timein/features/1137/melbourne-on-tv-offspring. Accessed 20 Oct 2012.
- TWE. (2012). Treasury wine estates history. http://www.tweglobal.com/about/history/. Accessed 24 Aug 2012.
- Winebuzz. (2012). A little music with your wine. http://www.winebuzz.com.au/wine-blog/posts/a-little-music-with-your-wine. Accessed 20 Oct 2012.
- Wolf Blass. (2007). Wolf Blass Wine TV commercial ‘Silk Glove’ [Video file]. Video posted to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpKqbdJ51Yo. Accessed 20 Oct 2012.
- Wolf Blass. (2008). Wolf Blass – White wine soaring [Video file]. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLu7f266Snc. Accessed 20 Oct 2012.
- Wolf Blass. (2012). Wolf Blass – About us. http://www.wolfblass.com.au. Accessed 24 Aug 2012.