ETD-MAC: An Event-Tracking Detecting MAC Protocol for Wireless Sensor Network
The TDMA MAC protocol is customarily used in event-driven WSN applications. But it only has good performance in the unmovable event detection, and can’t cope with the event whose trend is variable. In this paper, an Event-Tracking Detecting MAC (ETD-MAC) protocol is proposed for event-tracking detection in densely deployed event-driven WSN. In this protocol, an energy-based clustering technique is used to achieve event-tracking detection and a sleeping mechanism is proposed for energy conservation. Moreover, a tight scheduling mechanism is proposed to reduce the latency. The protocol is compared with the cluster-based MAC protocol and S-MAC protocol on NS-2 and Mica2 platform respectively, and shows its superiority in energy, scalability and latency.
Keywordswireless sensor network MAC protocol event-tracking scalability energy conservation low-latency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stojmenovic, I., Olariu, S.: Data-Centric Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Stojmenovic, I. (ed.) Handbook of Sensor Networks: Algorithms and Architectures. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Merhi, Z., Elgamel, M., Bayoumi, M.: EB-MAC: An event based medium access control for wireless sensor networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, pp. 1–6 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Heinzelman, W.B., Chandrakasan, A.P.: An Application-Specific Protocol Architecture for Wireless Microsensor Networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 1(4) (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Hou, Y.X., Wang, H.G., Liang, J.X., Pei, C.X.: A Cross-Layer Protocol for Event-Driven Wireless Sensor Networks. In: 1st International Conference on Information Science and Engineering, pp. 3926–3929 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, J., Lazarou, G.Y.: A Bit-Map-Assisted Energy-Efficient MAC Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Third International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks, pp. 55–60 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Sazak, N., Erturk, I., Koklukaya, E., Cakiroglu, M.: An event driven slot allocation approach to TDMA based WSN MAC design and its effect on latency. In: Computer Engineering Conference, pp. 22–25 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Vales-Alonso, J., Egea-Lopez, E., Bueno-Delgado, M.V., Sieiro-Lomba, J.L., Garcia-Haro, J.: Optimal p-Persistent MAC Algorithm for Event-Driven Wireless Sensor Networks. Next Generation Internet Networks, 203–208, 28–30 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.MathWorks. MATLAB 6.5 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.NS-2 on, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/