Modeling and Validating the Train Fare Calculation and Adjustment System Using VDM++
The Train Fare Calculation and Adjustment System (TFCAS), developed by the OMRON Corporation, is a large-scale and complex system that helps passengers buy tickets and adjust their train fare on the railways across Japan. In this paper we present the results and experiences gained in a collaborative research project between AIST and OMRON, in which VDM++ has been applied to formalize TFCAS’s specifications and validate its consistency as well as reliability properties. An executable VDM++ model can be used to raise the level of the quality of the informal system specification, the efficiency of existing system test-suites, and the quality of real implementation. The application of VDM++ enables us to detect 32 erroneous issues in the original informal specification document. Moreover, we also show how the development process can be improved in a front-loading manner using the formal method VDM++.
KeywordsFormal Method Design Document Ticket Price Linear Time Temporal Logic Train System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chiappini, A., Cimatti, A., Macchi, L., Rebollo, O., Roveri, M., Susi, A., Tonetta, S., Vittorini, B.: Formalization and validation of a subset of the European Train Control System. In: Proc. of ICSE 2010, pp. 109–118. ACM Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Woodcock, J., Larsen, P.G., Bicarregui, J., Fitzgerald, J.S.: Formal methods: Practice and experience. ACM Comput. Surv. 41(4) (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Larsen, P.G., Fitzgerald, J.S., Wolff, S.: Methods for the Development of Distributed Real-Time Embedded Systems Using VDM. Int. J. Software and Informatics 3(2-3), 305–341 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Hörl, J., Aichernig, B.K.: Validating Voice Communication Requirements Using Lightweight Formal Methods. IEEE Software 17(3) (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Kurita, T., Nakatsugawa, Y.: The Application of VDM to the Industrial Development of Firmware for a Smart Card IC Chip. Int. J. Software and Informatics 3(2-3), 343–355 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.The VDM Tool Group, IFAD. User Manual for the IFAD VDM++ Toolbox. The Institute of Applied Computer Science, Forskerparken 10, 5230 Odense M, Denmark/Europe, 1.0 edn. (September 1997) Doc.Id.: IFAD-VDM-50Google Scholar
- 10.Eriksson, L.: Formal Verification of Railway Interlockings. Swedish National Rail Administration Technical Report 4 (1997)Google Scholar