Calude as Father of One of the Computer Science Journals
The Journal of Universal Computer Science (“universal” to indicate that no area is excluded) was one of the first (if not the first) journal that published refereed papers on the Internet, yet also provided a printed “archive” version of all papers published during a year after the end of that year. It is also one of the few truly open access journals in computer science: both publication and access is free for everyone. In this paper we describe how the journal started, what problems it was confronted with, and how they were solved.
KeywordsKnowledge Management Digital Library Editorial Board Open Access Journal Universal Computer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrews et al., 1995Andrews, K., Kappe, F., Maurer, H.: The Hyper-G Network Information System. Journal of Universal Computer Science, J.UCS 1(4), 206–220 (1995)Google Scholar
- Afzal et al., 2007Afzal, M., Maurer, H.: Creating links to the future. Journal of Universal Computer Science, J.UCS 13(9), 1234–1245 (2007)Google Scholar
- Berners-Lee et al. 1994
- Calude et al., 1994Calude, C., Maurer, H., Salomaa, A.: Journal of Universal Computer Science, J.UCS 0(0), 109–116 (1994)Google Scholar
- Dreher et al., 2008Dreher, H., Krottmaier, H., Maurer, H.: What we expect from digital libraries. J.UCS 10(9), 1110–1122 (2004)Google Scholar
- I-KNOW 2011.
- J.UCS 2012
- Khan et al., 2008Khan, M.S., Kulathuramaiyer, N., Maurer, H.: Applications of mash-ups for a digital journal. Journal of Universal Computer Science, J.UCS 14(10), 1695–1716 (2008)Google Scholar
- Khan 2011a.Khan, M.S.: Aspects of Content Quality, Management in Digital Libraries of Scholarly Publications, Ph.D. Thesis Graz University of Technology (2011)Google Scholar
- Khan 2011b.Khan, M.S.: Exploring citations for conflict of interest detection in peer-review system. International Journal of Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management Applications 3 (to appear, 2011)Google Scholar
- Krottmaier, 2003.Krottmaier, H.: Links To The Future. Journal of Digital Information Management 1(1), 3–8 (2003)Google Scholar
- Maurer, 2001.Maurer, H.: Beyond Classical Digital Libraries. In: Chen, D.-C. (ed.) Proc. of Conference on Global Digital Library Development, pp. 165–173. Tsinghua University Press, Beijing (2001)Google Scholar
- McCahill et al., 1995McCahill, M.P., Anklesaria, F.X.: Evolution Of Internet Gopher. Journal of Universal Computer Science, J.UCS 1(4), 235–246 (1995)Google Scholar
- Odlyzko 1994.Odlyzko, A.M.: Tragic loss or good riddance? The impending demise of traditional scholarly journals. J.UCS 0(0), 3–53 (1994)Google Scholar
- Surowiecki et al., 2007Surowiecki, J.: The Wisdom of Crowds. Anchor Pocket Books (2005)Google Scholar