Competencies and Experiential Requirements in Radiology Training
Measuring competency in radiology trainees is not a new activity. All training programs make some attempt to assess competency through written supervisor evaluations, and many programs use some form of examination. However, many aspects of being a radiologist are not being assessed by these approaches. Furthermore, such assessments say nothing about practical clinical imaging experience gained while working and learning during the training program.
The top-down approach to designing new training programs and curricula in some countries has led to a marked shift in emphasis towards workplace-based assessments, mandatory experiential minimum requirements, and attempts to develop a holistic, structured, and complete evaluation of trainees across a range of competencies. The CanMEDS framework of medical and non-medical expert roles has been extraordinarily influential in this arena.
This chapter discusses the types of competencies that radiologists should acquire in training, and the approaches taken by the Australia–New Zealand, Dutch, and US national training systems to try to assess and evaluate trainees.
KeywordsNational Curriculum Procedural Skill Experiential Requirement National Training Certification Examination
- ESR (2011): Revised European Training Charter for Clinical Radiology. European Society of Radiology, Vienna, Austria. http://www.myesr.org/html/img/pool/European_Training_Charter_current_version_February_2011.pdf.Google Scholar
- ESR (2007): Good practice guide for European radiologists. European Society of Radiology, Vienna, Austria. http://www.myesr.org/html/img/pool/ESR_2006_II_GoodPractice_Web.pdf Google Scholar
- Frank JR (2005) The CanMEDS 2005 physician competency framework. The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, OttawaGoogle Scholar
- Gawande A (2011) Annals of medicine: personal best. Top athletes and singers have coaches. Should you? The New Yorker, 3 Oct 2011. Retrieved from http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/10/03/11003fa_fact_gawande?currentPage=all. Accessed 31 Oct 2011
- RANZCR (2009) Radiodiagnosis training program: curriculum. Retrieved from http://www.ranzcr.edu.au/. Accessed 30 Sept 2011
- Wang SC, Burns J, Walters L, Slavotinek J (2010) Redesigning a national training program in radiology: the Australian-New Zealand experience. In: van Deven T, Hibbert KM, Chhem RK (eds) The practice of radiology education: challenges and trends. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar