A Novel Approach to Modechart Verification of Real-Time Systems
Because real-time systems are often time-critical applications and their failure can have fatal consequences, it is important to ensure their correct behaviour. There exist many approaches for verification of real-time systems. Some use graphical formalisms, other various kinds of logics, to describe the system being verified. While graphical description can be significantly easier to use, it disallows to utilise many powerful methods for analysis and verification. In this paper, we propose a new approach for verification of real-time systems described by the Modechart graphical formalism by transforming the computation of the system onto a set of restricted real-time logic (RRTL) formulae. Moreover, if the verified property is known in advance, we are able to reduce the number of resulting RRTL formulae.
KeywordsComputation Graph Serial Mode Constraint Graph Symbolic Model Check Separation Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Jahanian, F., Lee, R., Mok, A.K.: Semantics of modechart in real time logic. In: Proceedings of the Twenty-First Annual Hawaii International Conference on Software Track, pp. 479–489. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA, USA (1988)Google Scholar
- 8.Jahanian, F., Stuart, D.A.: A method for verifying properties of modechart specifications. In: Proceedings of the Real-Time Systems Symposium, pp. 12–21 (1988)Google Scholar
- 9.Puchol, C.: A solution to the generalized railroad crossing problem in esterel. Technical report, Austin, TX, USA (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Puchol, C.: An operational semantics and a compiler for modechart specifications. Technical report (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Stuart, D.A.: Implementing a verifier for real-time systems. In: Proc. of IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium, pp. 62–71 (1990)Google Scholar
- 12.Stuart, D.A., Jahanian, F.: A formal method for verifying real-time properties of modechart specifications. In: In Proceedings of the 9th RTS Symposium (1994)Google Scholar
- 13.Yang, J., Mok, A.K., Stuart, D.: A new generation modechart verifier. In: Proc. of RTAS 1995, p. 116. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA (1995)Google Scholar