Modelling and PID Control of HVAC System According to Energy Efficiency and Comfort Criteria
This article describes the work being developed concerning the optimization of climate conditions in office buildings by the use of modeling and simulation tools to define the building’s energy demand, and the design and implementation of PID controls for the different control areas of the HVAC system, whose parameters have been adjusted based on simulation. To perform these studies, different simulation tools have been combined to obtain a model of the entire system: design of building and building’s energy demand in HVAC with Google SketchUp and EnergyPlus using a complete year of simulation with weather conditions of the building’s location, and HVAC system modeling with Dymola. These different tools have been combined with BCVTB co-simulation platform. A physical implementation is being finished by the deployment of distributed temperature and humidity sensors along the building. The measured data will be used to fine tune the PID controller parameters previously designed in the modeling stage.
KeywordsHeat Pump Building Energy National Renewable Energy Laboratory HVAC System Modeling Building Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Reglamento de Instalaciones Térmicas en los Edificios (RITE). Modificación del Real Decreto 1826/2009 (in Spanish)Google Scholar
- 2.Building Controls Virtual Test Bed (BCVTB), https://gaia.lbl.gov/bcvtb
- 3.Lluna, A., Benítez, I., Monreal, J., Díaz, I.: Towards Zero Energy Balance in Tertiary Buildings. In: CMTEE 2010, Energy Technological Institute (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Dymola, www.dymola.com
- 5.Efficiency Valuation Organization (EVO), www.evo-world.org
- 6.EnergyPlus, www.energyplus.gov
- 9.Plan de Acción 2008/2012 de la Estrategia de Ahorro y Eficiencia Energética en España (PAE4+) (in Spanish)Google Scholar
- 10.Modelica, http://www.modelica.org
- 11.EnergyPlus-OpenStudio, http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/energyplus/openstudio.cfm
- 12.Google SketchUp, http://sketchup.google.com/
- 13.Ellis, P.G., Torcellin, P.A.: Energy Design Plugin: An EnergyPlus Plugin for SketchUp. In: IBPSA-USA SimBuild 2008 Conference, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Wetter, M.: Buildings, https://gaia.lbl.gov/bir