Synchronization of a Renewable Energy Inverter with the Grid
This paper proposes a new system for synchronising a DC-AC battery fed inverter with a residential single-phase voltage supply. The system is based on the use of a time-delay digital tanlock loop (TDTL). The paper presents the system architecture, its mathematical modelling, analysis and the results of its testing. The synchronizing system was modelled and simulated using Simulink/Matlab. The results indicate that the system is able to synchronize a voltage-fed inverter with the low voltage grid. Furthermore, the system is also able to re-gain synchronization whenever it is lost following an unpredicted perturbation in the grid voltage such as a sudden change in its phase.
KeywordsPhase Error Grid Voltage Phase Step Digital Control Oscillator Energy Information Administration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mann, P., Gahagan, L., Gordon, M.B.: Tectonic setting of the world’s giant oil and gas fields. In: Halbouty, M.T. (ed.) Giant Oil and Gas Fields of the Decade, p. 50. American Association of Petroleum Geologists, Tulsa (1990-1999)Google Scholar
- 2.U.S. Energy Information Administration. World Energy Overview, Report Released (June-December 2008)Google Scholar
- 3.UK government White Paper, Meeting the Challenge, UK (2007), Directive 2009/28/EC OF the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 April 2009 on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources and amending and subsequently repealing Directives 2001/77/EC and 2003/30/EC Google Scholar
- 4.European Wind Energy Association, Count on Wind Energy, a report published (2008) Google Scholar
- 5.Georgakis, D., Papathanassiou, S., Hatziargyriou, N., Engler, A., Hardt, C.: Operation of a prototype microgrid system based on micro-sources equipped with fast-acting power electronics interfaces. In: 2004 IEEE 35th Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference, PESC 2004, vol. 4, 2524, pp. 2521–2526 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Characteristics of the utility interface for photovoltaic (PV) systems. IEC 61727-2002 (2002) Google Scholar
- 7.IEEE Guide for Monitoring, Information Exchange, and Control of Distributed Resources Interconnected with Electric Power Systems. IEEE Standard 1547.3 (2007)Google Scholar