Control for a Variable Speed Wind Turbine Equipped with a Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator (PMSG)
In wind turbine systems, one of the operational problems is the unpredictable factor of wind. This leads the quality of produced energy becomes an important problem in the system. Several control techniques have been applied to improve the quality of power generated from wind turbines. Pitch control is the most efficient and popular power control method, especially for variable-speed wind turbines. In this paper, a traditional PI controller is developed. Simulations were carried out to validate the proposed control design when realistic data of wind speed collected in Borj Cedria, Tunissia, are taken into account.
KeywordsWind Speed Wind Turbine Pitch Angle Wind Turbine Model Wind Turbine System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hand, M.M., Balas, M.J.: Systematic Control Design Methodology for Variable-Speed Wind Turbine. Technical Report of National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Colorado USA (February 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Lescher, F., Zhao, J.Y., Borne, P.: Robust Gain Scheduling Controller for Pitch Regulated Variable Speed Wind Turbine. Studies in Informatics and Control 14, 299–315 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Raiambal, K., Chellamuthu, C.: Modelling and simulation of grid connected wind electric generating system. In: Annals of IEEE TENCON, pp. 1847–1852 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Mei, F., Pal, B.C.: Modelling and small-signal analysis of a grid connected doubly-fed induction generator. In: Proceedings of IEEE PES General Meeting 2005, San Francisco, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Wua, F., Zhang, X.P., Jua, P.: Small signal stability analysis and control of the wind turbine with the direct-drive permanent magnet generator integrated to the grid. Electric Power Systems Research, 1661–1667 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Svechkarenko, D.: Simulations and Control of Direct Driven Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator. Project Work, Royal Institute of Technology, Department of Electrical Engineering, Electrical Machines and Power Electronics (December 2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Mahdi, A.J., Tang, W.H., Jiang, L., Wu, Q.H.: A Comparative Study on Variable-Speed Operations of a Wind Generation System Using Vector Control. In: International Conference on Renewable Energy (ICREPQ 2010), Granada, Spain, March 23-25 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Chinchilla, M., Arnaltes, S., Burgos, J.C.: Control of Permanent Magnet Generators Applied to Variable-Speed Wind-Energy Systems Connected to the Grid. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion 21(1) (March 2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Rasila, M.: Torque and Speed Control of a Pitch Regulated Wind Turbine. Thesis for the Master of Science degree, Department of Electric Power Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Goteborg, Sweden (2003)Google Scholar