Time-Frequency Domain Techniques for Power System Transients Identification
In the present paper power system transient disturbances using Stockwell and Hartley Stockwell transform have been investigated. It is well known that Stockwell transform (ST) is utilized for the real time prediction of the disturbance as it is able to accurately determine the sudden burst in the signal. However, in some cases the frequency resolution of ST is low. Consequently Hartley Stockwell transform (HST) has been proposed which is good in frequency resolution. A comparison has been made with the proposed HST with ST technique. The proposed HST technique has been tested on various transient disturbances to show its efficacy.
KeywordsPower System Contour Plot Frequency Resolution Continuous Wavelet Transform Voltage Waveform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Greenwood, A.: Electrical Transients in Power Systems, 2nd edn. John Wiley & Sons, USA (1923)Google Scholar
- 2.Lobos, T., Rezmer, J., Koglin, H.J.: Analysis of power system transients using wavelets and Prony method. In: IEEE Porto Power Tech. Conf. (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Janıcek, F., Mucha, M., Ostrozlık, M.: A new protection relay based on fault transient analysis using wavelet transform. Journal of Electrical Engineering 58(5), 271–278 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Andrade, M., Messina, A.R.: Application of Hilbert techniques to the study of subsynchronous oscillations. In: IPST International Conference on Power Systems Transient, pp. 172–178 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Mamis, M.S., Abbasov, T., Herdem, S., Koksal, M.: Transient analysis of electrical machines by differential Taylor transform. In: IPST International Conference on Power System Transient, pp. 325–328 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Mo, F., Kinsner, W.: Wavelet modeling of transients in power systems. In: IEEE Conf. Communications, Power and Computing, pp. 132–137 (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Dafis, C.J., Nwankpa, C.O., Petropuh, A.: Analysis of Power System Transient Disturbances Using an ESPRIT-based Method. In: IEEE Conf., pp. 437–442 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Girgis, A.A., McManis, R.B.: Frequency domain techniques for modeling distribution or transmission networks using capacitor switching induced transients. IEEE Power Engineering Review, 74–79 (1989)Google Scholar
- 10.Ruirui, Z.S.L., Jeffers, W.Q., Heptol, T., Guimin, Y.: The research of power quality analysis based on improved S-transform. In: The Ninth International Conference on Electronic Measurement & Instruments, ICEMI, pp. 477–481 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Stockwell, R.G.: S-transform analysis of gravity wave activity from a small scale network, Ph.D. dissertation, Dept. of Physics, Western Ontario Univ., London, Ontario (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.MATLAB/ SIMULINK 7.6 versionGoogle Scholar