Knowledge Based Evolutionary Programming: Cultural Algorithm Approach for Constrained Optimization
A cultural approach to solve the problem defined by the economic load dispatch in power systems is presented in this paper. The practical problems of economic load dispatch have non-smooth cost functions with equality and inequality constraints that make the problem of finding the global optimum difficult using any mathematical approaches. Our approach is based on the concept of a cultural algorithm and is applied to constrained optimization problems in which a map of the feasible region is used to guide the search more efficiently. It combines cultural algorithm with evolutionary programming technique in such a way that a simple evolutionary programming (EP) is applied as a based level search, which can give a good direction to the optimal global region, and a domain knowledge (using the concept of cultural algorithm) is used as a fine tuning to determine the optimal solution at the final. The effectiveness and feasibility of the proposed method is tested on a practical thirteen generator system. Results obtained by the proposed method are compared with the other evolutionary methods. It is seen that the proposed method can produce comparable results.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Fuel Cost Acceptance Function Belief Space Population Space
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Chung, C.-J., Reynolds, R.G.: The Use of Cultural Algorithms Supprt Self-adaptove in EP. In: Proc. of 1996 Adaptive Distributed Parallel Computing Symposium (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Chung, C.-J., Reynolds, R.G.: CAEP: AnEvolution-based Tool for real valued Function Ooptimization using Cultural algorithms. International Journal on Artificial Intelligence Tools 7(3) (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Jin, X., Reynolds, G.R.: Using Knowledge –Based Evolutionary Computation to Solve Nonlinear Constraint Optimization Problem:a Cultural Algorithn Approach. In: Proc. of 1999 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 1672–1678 (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Giridhar, K., Mouly, V.S.R.K.: Using Evolutionary Computation tosolve the Eco-nomic Load Dispatch problem. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 3, 296–301 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Park, J.H., Yang, S.O., Mun, K.J., Lee, H.S., Jung, J.W.: An Applicationof Evolutionary Computations to Economic Load Dispatch with piecewise Quadratic Cost Functions. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 69, 289–294 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Reynolds, R.G.: An Introduction to Cultural Algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 3rd Annual Conference on Evolutionary Programming, pp. 131–139. World Scienfific Publishing (1994)Google Scholar
- 14.Reynolds, R.G.: An Overview of Cultural Algorithms. In: Advances in Evolutionary Computation. McGraw Hill Press (1999)Google Scholar
- 18.Wood, A.J., Wollenberg, B.F.: Power Generation, Operation and Control. Wiley, New York (1984)Google Scholar