Challenges Awaiting the Aviation Industry – Preparation for the Integration in the Emission Trading Scheme
As of 2012, the aviation sector will be integrated into the EU Emission Trading Scheme (EU ETS). However, some airlines, aircraft manufacturers and governments are still trying to deter the European community from implementing the directive. Heated conflict seems to be programmed, given the EU –Commission’s firm stance: “The inclusion of aviation in the ETS is not a proposal, it is now European law. […] So we are not thinking at all about the possibility of changing our legislation.” said European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso in June 20111.
KeywordsEmission Trading Scheme Aviation Industry Global Tourism Flight Operation City Pair
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barclays Capital (2011): Carbon Market Outlook, March 2011.Google Scholar
- Brockhagen, D. et al. (2011): Airline Index 2011 – Documentation of the methodology, Berlin.Google Scholar
- European Parliament (2008): EU Directive 2008/101/EC of November 19th 2008 amending Directive 2003/87/ECGoogle Scholar
- European Parliament (2009): EU Directive 2009/29/EC of April 23rd 2009 amending Directive 2003/87/ECGoogle Scholar
- Reuters (2011): EU’s Barroso stands firm on ETS for airlines, June 8th 2011, www.reuters.com