A Comprehensive Design of IPv6 Wireless Sensor Network for Ecological and Hydrological Watershed-Scale Research
Environmental monitoring in ecological and hydrological watershed-scale research is an important and promising area of application for wireless sensor networks. This paper presents a system design of IPv6 wireless sensor network (IPv6WSN) in Heihe river watershed in Gansu province of China to assist ecological and hydrological scientists collecting field scientific data in an extremely harsh environment. To solve the challenging problems, this paper focus on three key technologies adopted in our project, which includes the design of hardware platform, integration of the newest network protocol (IPv6), Metadata modeling for IPv6WSN. The system design introduced in this paper provides a solid foundation for effective use of self-developed IPv6 wireless sensor network by ecological and hydrological scientists.
KeywordsIPv6 Wireless Sensor Network Ecological hydrological watershed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akyildiz, I.F., Su, W., Sankarasubramaniam, Y., Cayirci, E.: Wireless sensor networks: a survey. Computer Networks 38(4) (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Mayer, K., Fritsche, W.: IP-enabled Wireless Sensor Networks and their integration into the Internet. In: Proceeding of InterSense 2006, Proceedings of the First International Conference on Integrated Internet Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Hinden, R., Deering, S.: IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture. RFC 4291 (February 2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Johnson, D., Perkins, C., Arkko, J.: Mobility Support in IPv6. RFC 3775 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Thomson, S., Narten, T., Jinmei, T.: IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration RFC 4862 (September 2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Mulligan, G.: The 6LoWPAN architecture. In: Proceedings of the 4th Workshop on Embedded Networked Sensors, pp. 78–82 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.National Information Standards Organization, understanding metadata (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Ballari, D., Wachowicz, M., Angel, M., Callejo, M.: Metadata behind the Interoperability of Wireless Sensor Networks. Sensors 2009 9, 3635–3365 (2009)Google Scholar