An Energy-Efficient MAC Protocol for Wireless Sensor Network
It is widely known that in wireless sensor networks (WSN), energy efficiency is of utmost importance. WSN need to be energy efficient but also need to provide better performance, particularly latency. A common protocol design guideline has been to trade off some performance metrics such as throughput and delay for energy. This paper presents a novel MAC REE-MAC (Residual Energy Efficient MAC)) protocol that not only preserves the energy efficiency of current alternatives but also coordinates the transfer of packets from source to destination in such a way that latency and jitter are improved considerably. Our simulations show how REE-MAC outperforms the well-known S-MAC protocols in several performance metrics.
KeywordsWireless sensor network energy efficiency MAC protocol collision avoidance adaptive mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kumar, S.: Sensor networks: evolution, opportunities, and challenge. Proceedings of 2003 IEEE Transaction on Computers 91(5), 23–27 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Marin, I., Arias, J., Arceredillo, E., et al.: LL-MAC: a low latency MAC protocol for wireless self-organised networks. Microprocessors and Microsystems 23(11), 1722–1734 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Ding, J., Sivalingam, K., Kashyapa, R., Chuan, L.J.: A multi-layered architecture and protocols for large-scale wireless sensor networks. In: IEEE 58th Vehicular Technology Conference, 2003, VTC 2003-Fall, October 6-9, vol. 3, pp. 1443–1447 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Ye, W., Heidemann, J., Estrin, D.: An energyefficient mac protocol for wireless sensor networks. In: 21st International Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM 2002), New York, NY, USA (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.van Dam, T., Langendoen, K.: An adaptive energyefficient mac protocol for wireless sensor networks. In: 1st ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys), pp. 171–180 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Langendoen, K.: Medium Access Control in Wireless Sensor Networks. Nova Science Publishers (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Polastre, J., Hill, J., Culler, D.: Versatile Low Power Media Access for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the Second ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, SenSys (November 2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Buettner, M., et al.: X-MAC: A Short Preamble MAC Protocol For Duty-CycledWireless Networks. In: Proceedings of ACM SenSys (November 2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Lu, G., Krishnamachari, B., Raghavendra, C.S.: An adaptive energyefficient and low-latency mac for data gathering in sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 18th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, IPDPS 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.The Network Simulator ns-2, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/version2.3