A Cross-Layer Security Framework for Wireless Mesh Networks
Wireless mesh networks is a new type of broadband access network. It has very typical network architecture of hybrid mesh network architecture. As wireless mesh network with distributed network architecture, it is relatively fragile and vulnerable to attack. In this paper, we first analyze the characters of hybrid mesh network architecture. The security weaknesses of WMNs mainly reflected in the transmission channel, authentication, physical protection and routing protocols. On the basis of analysis of security defects of WMNs, we design a cross-layer security framework to improve the security of WMNs. At last, we interpret some key Technologies in this security Framework.
Keywordswireless mesh network secure framework secure routing secure authentication group key management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Salem, N.B., Hubaux, J.P.: Securing wireless mesh networks. Special Issue of IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine on Wireless Mesh Networking 13(2) (April 2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhang, Y., Luo, J., Hu, H.: Wireless Mesh Networking: Architectures, Protocols and Standards, vol. 118. Auerbach Publications, Newyork (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Yi, P., Jiang, Y., Zhang, S., Zhong, Y.: A Survey of Security for Mob ile Ad Hoc Networks. ACTA Electronica Sinica 33(5) (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Wu, B., Chen, J., Wu, J., Cardei, M.: A Survey of Attacks and Countermeasures in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Xiao, Y., Shen, X., Du, D.-Z. (eds.) Wireless Network Security, Network Theory and Applications, vol. 17. Springer, Heidelberg (2006); ISBN: 0-387-28040-5Google Scholar
- 7.Siddiqui, M.S., Hong, C.S.: Security Issues in Wireless Mesh Networks. In: 2007 International Conference on Multimedia and Ubiquitous Engineering (MUE 2007) (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Zeng, J.: Study on Multi-layers Optimization and Security Mechanism for Wireless Mesh Networks. Communications Technology 43(6), 110–112 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, I., Lee, J., Kim, D.: Efficient Distributed Authentication Method with Local Proxy for Wireless Mesh Networks. IEEE Communications Society (07), 3556–3560 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Tang, F., Guo, M., Li, M.: Secure Routing for Wireless Mesh Sensor Networks in Pervasive Environments. International Journal of Intelligent Control and Systems 12(4), 293–306 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Lukas, G., Fackroth, C.: WMNSec -Security for Wireless Mesh Networks. In: Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference on Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing: Connecting the World Wirelessly (2009)Google Scholar