A Protected 0.35 μm CMOS Transmitter Circuit for 13.56 MHz RFID Reader SoC
An integrated transmitter for 13.56 MHz RFID Reader SoC is designed in 0.35 μm cmos technology. The circuit consists of a RF/analog part for modulation, protection and digital part for controlling the transmitter functionality. It has been realized to be compatible with the communication standards ISO 14443 A/B, 15693 and 18000-3. It operates at 13.56 MHz with a communication date rate from 212 kHz up to 848 kHz. In modulation mode of operation, a solution based on configurable antenna drivers is proposed to control both the output power and the modulation index which is in the range [0%-100%] including OOK. What’s more, a short protection circuit for the antenna diver makes great improvement on its stability. The transmitter is implemented at 3.3V. The measurement and simulation results of the implemented chip indicate that the designed transmitter operates well in multi-standard mode.
KeywordsRFID transmitter Modulator Compatible Configurable Protected
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.International Standard ISO/IEC 14443, International Standardization Organization (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.International Standard ISO/IEC 15693, International Standardization Organization (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Meillère, S., Barthélemy, H., Martin, M.: 13.56 MHz CMOS transceiver for RFID applications. Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing 49, 249–256 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Allen, P.E., Holberg, D.R.: CMOS Analog Circuit Design. Oxford Univ. (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Finkenzeller, K.: RFID Handbook. John Wiley & Sons (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Cripps, S.: RF Power Amplifiers for Wireless Communications. Artech House (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Hamamsy, S.: Design of High-Efficiency RF Class-D Power Amplifie. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 9(3) (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Lee, T.H.: The Design of CMOS Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits. Cambridge University Press (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Razavi, B.: RF Microelectronics. Prentice-Hall (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Baker, R.J.: CMOS Circuit Design, Layout and Simulation. IEEE Press (1997)Google Scholar