Measuring Leanness and Agility Status of Iranian Food Industries Supply Chains Using Data Envelopment Analysis
This research proposes a methodology to measure the overall leanness and agility of supply chains considering the most appropriate index of supply chains in food industry. Output and input of proposed model base in Data Envelopment analysis are identified from literature review and the level of them from a survey questionnaire accrued. Using the Data Envelopment Analysis technique, the leanness and agility measures delivers a self-contained, unit-invariant score of the whole supply chain system to support decision making on continuous improvement. And firms could adopt either a lean or an agile strategy or both, depending on the environment. This article provides a DEA method to measure two supply chain strategies and benchmarks their indexes to co-align competitive strategies with the environment to improve performance. This approach has been applied in case of some Iranian food industry supply chains to prove the applicability of the method.
KeywordsData Envelopment Analysis Lean Supply Chains Agile Supply Chains Iranian Food Industries
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Chen, C.-M.: Evaluation and Design of Supply-Chain Operations using DEA, PhD Thesis, Erasmus Research Institute of Management – ERIM Rotterdam School of Management (RSM), Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) (June 2009), Print: Haveka http://www.haveka.nl
- 12.Eyong Michael, E.: Creating A Competitive Supply Chain: Evaluating The Impact Of Lean & Agile Supply Chain, School Of Innovation. Design & Product Development (Idt) Se – 721 23, Västerås/Eskilstuna, Sweden (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Khalili-Damghani, K., Taghavifard, M., Olfat, L., Feizi, K.: A hybrid approach based on fuzzy DEA and simulation to measure the effciency of agility in supply chain. International Journal of Management Science and Engineering Management 6(3), 163–172 (2011) ISSN 1750-9653Google Scholar
- 24.Naylor, J.B., Naim, M.M., Berry, D.: Leagility: Integrating the lean and agile manufacturing paradigms in the total supply chain. International Journal of Production Economics 62, 107–118 (1999); formerly (1997) OccasionalPaper#47Google Scholar
- 40.Wan, H.-D., Frank Chen, F.: A leanness measure of manufacturing systems for quantifying impacts of lean initiatives. International Journal of Production Research 46(23), 6567–6584 (2008), doi:10.1080/00207540802230058Google Scholar