Distribution Systems Reconfiguration Using the Hyper-Cube Ant Colony Optimization Algorithm
This paper introduces the Ant Colony Optimization algorithm (ACO) implemented in the Hyper-Cube (HC) framework to solve the distribution network minimum loss reconfiguration problem. The ACO is a relatively new and powerful intelligence evolution method inspired from natural behavior of real ant colonies for solving optimization problems. In contrast to the usual ways of implementing ACO algorithms, the HC framework limits the pheromone values by introducing changes in the pheromone updating rules resulting in a more robust and easier to implement version of the ACO procedure. The optimization problem is formulated taking into account the operational constraints of the distribution systems. Results of numerical tests carried out on two test systems from literature are presented to show the effectiveness of the proposed approach.
KeywordsLoss Reduction Good Configuration Network Reconfiguration Total Power Loss State Transition Rule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Merlin, Back, H.: Search for a minimal-loss operating spanning tree configuration in an urban power distribution system. In: Proc. 5th Power System Computation Conf. (PSCC), Cambridge, UK, pp. 1–18 (1975)Google Scholar
- 4.Jeon, Y.-J., Kim, J.-C.: Application of simulated annealing and tabu search for loss minimization in distribution systems. Int. J. Elec. Power & Energy Sys. 26(1) (January 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Dorigo, M.: Optimization, Learning and Natural Algorithms (in Italian) Ph.D. dissertation, Dipartimento di Elettronica, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.Shirmohammadi, D., Hong, H.W.: A compensation-based power flow method for weakly meshed distribution and transmission networks. IEEE Trans. Power Syst. 3 (1988)Google Scholar
- 11.Blum, C., Dorigo, M.: The hyper cube framework for ant colony optimization. IEEE Trans. Syst. Man Cyber. 34(2) (April 2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Carpaneto, E., Chicco, G.: Ant-Colony Search-Based Minimum Losses Reconfiguration of Distribution Systems. In: IEEE MELECON, Dubrovnik, Croatia, pp. 971–974 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Daniel, C., Hafeezulla Khan, I., Ravichandran, S.: Distribution Network Reconfiguration For Loss Reduction Using Ant Colony System Algorithm. In: IEEE Indicon Conference, India, pp. 619–622 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Ahuja, A., Pahwa, A.: Using Ant Colony Optimization for Loss Minimization in Distribution Networks. In: Proceedings of the 37th Annual North American Power Symposium, pp. 470–474 (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Ghorbani, M.A., Hosseinian, S.H., Vahidi, B.: Application of Ant Colony System algorithm to distribution networks reconfiguration for loss reduction. In: 11th International Conference on Optimization of Electrical and Electronic Equipment, OPTIM, pp. 269–273 (May 2008)Google Scholar