Synthesis and Design of Thinned Planar Concentric Circular Antenna Array - A Multi-objective Approach
Thinned concentric antenna array design is one of the most important electromagnetic optimization problems of current interest. This antenna must generate a pencil beam pattern in the vertical plane along with minimized side lobe level (SLL) and desired HPBW, FNBW and number of switched off elements. In this article, for the first time to the best of our knowledge, a multi-objective optimization framework for this design is presented. Four objectives described above we are treated as four distinct objectives that are to be optimized simultaneously. The multi-objective approach provides greater flexibility by yielding a set of equivalent final solutions from which the user can choose one that attains a suitable trade-off margin as per requirements. In this article, we have used a multi-objective algorithm of current interest namely the NSGA-II algorithm. There are two types of design, one with uniform inter-element spacing fixed at 0.5λ and the other with optimum uniform inter-element spacing. Extensive simulation and results are given with respect to the obtained HPBW, SLL, FNBW and number of switched off elements and compared with two state-of-the-art single objective optimization methods namely DE and PSO.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Differential Evolution Antenna Array Side Lobe Level Multiobjective Evolutionary Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Goldberg, D.E.: Genetic Algorithms in Search Optimization and Machine Learning, vol. 41. Addison-Wesley (1989)Google Scholar
- 7.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C.: Particle swarm optimization. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. Neural Networks IV, Piscataway, NJ (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, Q., Li, H.: MOEA/D: A Multiobjective Evolutionary Algorithm Based on Decomposition. IEEE Trans. Evolutionary Computation, 712–731 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Storn, R., Price, K.V.: Differential evolution - A simple and efficient adaptive scheme for global optimization over continuous spaces. Technical Report TR-95-012, ICSI (1995), http://http.icsi.berkeley.edu/~storn/litera.html
- 12.Pal, S., Das, S., Basak, A., Suganthan, P.N.: Synthesis of difference patterns for monopulse antennas with optimal combination of array-size and number of subarrays - A multi-objective optimization approach. Progress in Electromagnetics Research, PIER B 21, 257–280 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Pal, S., Qu, B.Y., Das, S., Suganthan, P.N.: Optimal Synthesis of Linear Antenna Arrays with Multi-objective Differential Evolution. Progress in Electromagnetics Research, PIER B 21, 87–111 (2010)Google Scholar