Automatic Tiled Roof Generator for Oriental Architectural CAD Design
In digital design of oriental wooden architecture, drawing roof surfaces is very difficult and elaborating job. Because that the roof has a curved surface and the surface is generally made from hundreds number of roof tiles. And these facts cause modification problem. When designer want to redraw the roof surface, every related roof tiles should be adjusted in detail. To overcome this issue and to design a roof efficiently, we suggest an automatic roof generating method applicable in 3D CAD program. The automatic roof generating system is able to control the shape of roof by user’s intent. The curved roof surface is roughly decided by geometrical characteristics of the house main frame but details such as roof curvature and LOD(level of detail) can be controlled by user. The proposed roof system is based on the BIM so it can evaluate and inform exact quantities helpful in the construction process.
KeywordsRoof surface Oriental architecture CAD design Automation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kim, W.-J.: Korean’s Architecture Terms with Pictures, Bareum (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Chang, G.-I.: Korea’s Wooden Architecture, Boseong-gak, pp. 247–324 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Chiou, S.-C., Krishnamutri, R.: The Grammatical Basis of Chinese Traditional Architecture. Language of Design, 5–31 (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Li, A.I.-K., Tsou, J.-Y.: The Rule-based Nature of Wood Frame Construction of the Yingzao Fashi and the Role of Virtual Modeling in Understanding it, Computing in Architectural Research. In: Proc. of the International Conference on Chinese Architectural History, Hong Kong, pp. 25–40 (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Yang, J.-Y.: A Study on the Framed Structure of the Gambrel Roof in Korean Traditional Architecture. Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea 25(2), 155–167 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Kim, J.-H., Joo, N.-C.: A Study on the Relationship between Roof Shape and Floor Plan in Korean Traditional Architecture. Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea 5(2), 45–57 (1989)Google Scholar
- 8.Dobelis, M.: GDL- New ear in CAD. In: 6th International Conference on Engineering Graphics BALTGRAF-6, pp. 198–203 (2002)Google Scholar