A Focus on Comparative Analysis: Key Findings of MAC Protocols for Underwater Acoustic Communication According to Network Topology
Underwater acoustic communication can be applicable to many fields, such as oceanic data collection, undersea exploration and development, disaster prevention, underwater environmental monitoring and tactical surveillance. However, it has several challenges to design underwater acoustic sensor networks, for instance, limited bandwidth, multi-path, padding, long propagation delay, high bit error, temporary losses of connectivity and limited battery power. Nowadays many studies are being conducted to overcome abovementioned problems. In this paper, various MAC protocols for underwater acoustic communication are classified by network topology, one is cluster head based MAC protocols and the other one is ad-hoc based MAC protocols. In recent researches, there were not comparative analyses of MAC protocols for underwater acoustic communication according to network topology. So, we summarize and analyze these protocols through comparing each other with some factors. In the future, MAC protocols for underwater acoustic communication will be designed with consideration for each advantage of cluster head and ad-hoc MAC protocols, considering the mobility of nodes to improve underwater acoustic communication, which can be applied to lots of underwater applications.
KeywordsUnderwater acoustic communication MAC protocol Network topology Cluster-head Ad-hoc
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akyildiz, I.F., Pompili, D., Melodia, T.: Challenges for Efficient Communication in Underwater Acoustic Sensor Network. ACM SIGBED Review 1(1) (July 2004) Google Scholar
- 3.Chirdchoo, N., Soh, W.-S., Chua, K.C.: MU-Sync: a time synchronization protocol for underwater mobile networks. In: Proceedings of the Third ACM International Workshop on UnderWater Networks (WUWNet 2008) (September 2008) Google Scholar
- 4.Namgung, J.-I., Yun, N.-Y., Park, S.-H., Kim, C.-H., Jeon, J.-H., Park, S.-J.: Adaptive MAC Protocol and Acoustic Modem for Underwater Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the Fourth ACM International Workshop on UnderWater Networks (WUWNet 2009) (November 2009) Google Scholar
- 5.Shin, S.-Y., Namgung, J.-I., Park, S.-H.: SBMAC Smart Blocking MAC Mechanism for Variable UW-ASN (Underwater Acoustic Sensor Network) Environment. In: Sensors 2010, pp. 501–525 (January 2010) Google Scholar
- 6.Vieira, L.F.M., Kong, J., Lee, U., Gerla, M.: Analysis of Aloha Protocols for Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the First ACM International Workshop on UnderWater Networks (WUWNet 2006) (September 2006) Google Scholar
- 7.Gibson, J.H., Xie, G.G., Xiao, Y., Chen, H.: Analyzing the Performance of Multi-hop Acoustic Sensor Networks. In: Proc. IEEE OCEANS 2007 (June 2007) Google Scholar
- 8.Chirdchoo, N., Soh, W.-S., Chua, K.C.: Aloha-Based MAC Protocols with Collision Avoidance for Underwater Acoustic Networks. In: 26th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2007), pp. 2271–2275 (May 2007) Google Scholar
- 9.Molins, M., Stojanovic, M.: Slotted FAMA: a MAC protocol for underwater acoustic networks. In: Proc. IEEE OCEANS 2006 (May 2007) Google Scholar
- 10.Smith, S., Park, J.C., Neel, A.: A Peer-to-Peer Communication Protocol for Underwater Acoustic Communication. In: Proc. IEEE OCEANS 1997, vol. 1, pp. 268–272 (October 1997) Google Scholar
- 11.Peleato, B., Stojanovic, M.: Distance Aware Collision Avoidance Protocol for ad-hoc Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks. IEEE Communications Letters 11(2) (December 2007) Google Scholar
- 12.Tracy, L.T., Roy, S.: A Reservation MAC Protocol for ad-hoc Underwater Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the Third ACM International Workshop on UnderWater Networks (WUWNet 2008), pp. 95–98 (September 2008) Google Scholar
- 13.Park, M.K., Rodoplu, V.: UWAN-MAC: An Energy-Efficient MAC Protocol for Underwater Acoustic Wireless Networks. IEEE/MTS Journal of Oceanic Engineering 32(3), 710–720 (2007) Google Scholar