Fixed-Width Modified Booth Multiplier Design Based on Error Bound Analysis
The maximum quantization error has serious effect on the performance of fixed-width multipliers that receive W-bit inputs and produce W-bit products. In this paper, the error bound offered-width modified Booth multiplier is analyzed. Then, we present a design method that can be used to reduce the maximum error. By simulations, it is shown that the performance of the proposed fixed-width multiplier is close to that of the multiplier with rounding scheme. Also, by an FIR filter example, it is shown that the proposed method can be successfully applied to many multimedia and DSP applications requiring fixed-width property.
KeywordsFixed-width multiplier Error bound Quantization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schulte, M.J., Swartzlander Jr., E.E.: Proceedings of the VLSI Signal Processing (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.King, E.J., Swartzlander Jr., E.E.: Proceedings of the 31st Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, Computers (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Jou, J.M., Kung, S.R., Chen, R.D.: IEEE Trans. Circuits & Systems II (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Van, L.D., Wang, S.S., Feng, W.S.: IEEE Trans. Circuits & Systems II (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Jou, S.J., Wang, H.H.: The Proceedings of International Conference on Computer Design (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, S.M., Chung, J.G., Parhi, K.K.: IEEE Trans. Circuits & Systems II (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Cho, K.J., Lee, K.C., Chung, J.G., Parhi, K.K.: IEEE Trans. VLSI Systems (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Song, M.A., Van, L.D., Huang, T.C., Kuo, S.Y.: IEEE Trans. Circuits & Systems II (2005)Google Scholar