Neural Network Based Model for Fault Diagnosis of Pneumatic Valve with Dimensionality Reduction
Fault detection and diagnosis of pneumatic valve used in cooler water spray system in cement industry is of great practical significance and paramount importance for the continued operation of the plant. This paper presents the design and development of Artificial Neural Network (ANN) based model for the fault detection of pneumatic valve in cooler water spray system in cement industry. Principal component analysis (PCA) is applied to reduce the input dimension. The training and testing data required for the development of ANN is generated in a laboratory grade experimental setup. The performance of the developed model is compared with the network trained with the original variables without any dimensionality reduction. From the comparison it is observed that the classification performance of the neural network has been improved due to the application of PCA and the training time of the neural network is reduced.
KeywordsArtificial Neural Network Dimensionality Reduction Fault Detection Neural Network Model Artificial Neural Network Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bayir, S.R., Bay, O.F.: Serial wound starter motor faults diagnosis using artificial neural network. In: IEEE ICM 2004, Istanbul, pp. 194–199 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Demetgul, M.: Experiment based fault diagnosis on bottle filling plant with LVQ artificial neural network algorithm. Journal of Engineering Science 14, 92–100 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.de Moura, E.P., Souto, C.R., Silva, A.A., Irmao, M.A.S.: Evaluation of principal component analysis and neural network performance for bearing fault diagnosis from vibration signal processed by RS and DF analyses. Journal of Mech. Systems and Signal Processing (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Devaraj, D., Murthy, N., Yegnanarayana, B.: A fuzzy system model for plant condition monitoring. In: ASME International Conference, pp. 210–214 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Koj, J.: The Fault Sources of Pneumatic Servo-Motor-Control Valve Assembly. In: Proceedings of the III Polish Nat. Conf. on Diagnosis of Industrial Processes, Jurata, Poland, pp. 415–419 (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Louro, R.: Fault Diagnosis of an Industrial Actuator Valve. MSc Dissertation, Technical University of Lisbon, Portugal (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Subbaraj, P., Kannapiran, B.: Artificial Neural Network Approach for Fault Detection in Pneumatic Valve in Cooler Water Spray System. Int. Journal of Comp. Applications 9(7), 975–8887 (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Venkatasubramanian, V.: A Review of Process Fault Detection and Diagnosis Part I, II & III. Computers and Chemical Engineering (2003)Google Scholar