Design of Two-Channel Quadrature Mirror Filter Banks Using Differential Evolution with Global and Local Neighborhoods
- 2k Downloads
This paper introduces a novel method named DEGL (Differential Evolution with global and local neighborhoods) regarding the design of two channel quadrature mirror filter with linear phase characteristics. To match the ideal system response characteristics, this improved variant of Differential Evolution technique is employed to optimize the values of the filter bank coefficients. The filter response is optimized in both pass band and stop band. The overall filter bank response consists of objective functions termed as reconstruction error, mean square error in pass band and mean square error in stop band. Effective designing can be performed if the objective function is properly minimized. The proposed algorithm can perform much better than the other existing design methods. Three different design examples are presented here for the illustrations of the benefits provided by the proposed algorithm.
KeywordsFilter banks Quadrature Mirror Filter Sub-band coding perfect reconstruction DEGL
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vaidyanathan, P.P.: Multirate Systems and Filter Banks. Prentice Hall Inc. (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Chandran, S., Ibrahim, M.K.: Adaptive antenna techniques using QMF bank. In: IEEE International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, pp. 257–260 (April 1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Johnston, J.D.: A filter family designed for use in quadrature mirror filter banks. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, pp. 291–294 (April 1980)Google Scholar
- 11.Yu, Y.J., Lim, Y.C.: New natural selection process and chromosome encoding for the design of multiplier less lattice QMF using genetic algorithm. In: 8th IEEE International Conf. Electronics, Circuits and Systems, vol. 3, pp. 1273–1276 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Bregovic, R., Saramaki, T.: Two-channel FIR filter banks - A tutorial review and new results. In: Proceeding Second International Workshop on Transforms and Filter Banks, Brandenburg, Germany (March 1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Bregovic, R., Saramaki, T.: A general-purpose optimization approach for design-ing two-channel FIR filter banks. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 51(7) (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Kumar, A., Singh, G.K., Anand, R.S.: Design of Quadrature Mirror Filter Bank us-ing Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO). International Journal of Recent Trends in Engineering 1(3) (May 2009)Google Scholar
- 18.Storn, R., Price, K.V.: Differential Evolution - a simple and efficient adaptive scheme for global optimization over continuous spaces, Technical Report TR-95-012, ICSI (1995), http://http.icsi.berkeley.edu/~storn/litera.html
- 21.Qu, B.Y., Suganthan, P.N., Liang, J.J.: Differential Evolution with Neighborhood Mutation for Multimodal Optimization. IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, doi:10.1109/TEVC.2011.2161873Google Scholar