Learning Colours from Textures by Sparse Manifold Embedding
The capability of inferring colours from the texture (grayscale contents) of an image is useful in many application areas, when the imaging device/environment is limited. Traditional colour assignment involves intensive human effort. Automatic methods have been proposed to establish relations between image textures and the corresponding colours. Existing research mainly focuses on linear relations.
In this paper, we employ sparse constraints in the model of texture-colour relationship. The technique is developed on a locally linear model, which assumes manifold assumption of the distribution of the image data. Given the texture of an image patch, learning the model transfers colours to the texture patch by combining known colours of similar texture patches. The sparse constraint checks the contributing factors in the model and helps improve the stability of the colour transfer. Experiments show that our method gives superior results to those of the previous work.
KeywordsReference Image Image Patch Grayscale Image Sparse Constraint Transfer Colour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beymer, D., Poggio, T.: Image representation for visual learning. Science (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Chang, H., Yeung, D.Y., Xiong, Y.: Super-resolution through neighbor embedding. In: Proceedings of CVPR (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Dalal, N., Triggs, B.: Histograms of oriented gradients for human detection. In: Proceedings of CVPR (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Fan, W., Yeung, D.-Y.: Image hallucination using neighbor embedding over visual primitive manifolds. In: Proceedings of CVPR (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Huo, X., Ni, X., Smith, A.K.: A survey of manifold-based learning methods. Technical report, Statistics Group, Georgia Institute of Technology (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, J., Hao, P.: Transferring colours to grayscale images by locally linear embedding. In: BMVC (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Qu, Y., Wong, T.-T., Heng, P.-A.: Manga colorization. In: Proceedings of Siggraph (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Roweis, S.T., Saul, L.: Nonlinear dimensionality reduction by locally linear embedding. Science (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Seung, H.S., Lee, D.D.: The manifold way of perception. Science, 2268–2269 (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Silberg, J.: Cinesite press article (1998), http://www.cinesite.com/core/press/articles/1998/10_00_98-team.html
- 14.Souvenir, R.: Manifold learning for natural image sets. Ph.D. thesis (2006)Google Scholar
- 17.Welsh, T., Ashikhmin, M., Mueller, K.: Transferring color to greyscale images. In: Proceedings of Siggraph (2002)Google Scholar