Image Registration Algorithm Based on Modified GLOH Descriptor for Infrared Images and Electro-Optical Images
A new image registration algorithm for infrared images and electro-optical images is proposed in this paper. This algorithm is a combination of SIFT feature extraction algorithm and GLOH feature descriptor. Salient points of infrared images and electro-optical images are extracted along edges of images by using SIFT feature extraction algorithm. Then each salient point is described by using modified GLOH descriptor that formed a feature vector from the orientation histogram of sub-region around each salient point. After salient points matching by using Euclidean distance, RANSAC algorithm is used to eliminate wrong corresponding pairs. Then registration of infrared images and electro-optical images is achieved by affine transformation and bilinear interpolation. Experimental results for registration of infrared images and electro-optical images show that this algorithm has a good registration result.
Keywordsmulti-sensor images registration SIFT modified GLOH descriptor salient points RANSAC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Tian, A., Zhao, Z., Gao, Q.: Electrical equipment IR and visible images registration method based on SIFT. Electric Power Science and Engineering 24(2), 13–15 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Shu, L., Peng, X., Zhou, C., Ding, M.: Method of automatic IR/visual image registration. J. Huazhong Univ. of Sci. & Tech. 31(6), 92–94 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Istenic, R., Heric, D., Ribaric, S., Zazula, D.: Thermal and Visual Image Registration in Hough Parameter Space. In: 6th EURASIP Conference focused on Speech and Image Processing, Multimedia Communications and Services, pp. 106–109 (June 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Yu, P., Cui, S.-F., Ge, Y.-X., Wang, Y.-W., Zhang, K.: Image Registration based on alignment metric. Laser and Infrared 38(7), 737–740 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, Y., Tian, Y.-P.: The research of image registration in image fusion. Laser & Infrared 34(1), 34–36 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Harris, C., Stephens, M.: A combined corner and edge detector. In: Fourth Alvey Vision Conference, Manchester, UK, pp. 147–151 (1988)Google Scholar