A New Mesh Generation Strategy and Related Algorithm for Discrete Fracture Model in Naturally Fractured Reservoir Numerical Simulation
A new mesh generation strategy is presented in this paper: fractures and rock matrix are separated to generate mesh, and coupled by the fluid exchange between fractures and matrix. This method makes the mesh much simpler, and greatly decreases the computational complexity and increases computational speed. The principle of the new method is detailed discussed and the algorithm implementation of single phase fluid flow in porous medium is presented in this paper. The method is also applied to a simple case of naturally fractures reservoir simulation, results show that the method presented in this paper is applicable to simulate fluid flowing in fractured reservoir.
KeywordsNaturally fractured reservoir reservoir simulation discrete fracture model girding single phase flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Warren, J.E., Root, P.J.: The behavior of naturally fractured reservoirs. Soc. Petrol. Eng. (3), 245–255 (1963)Google Scholar
- 2.Kazemi, H.: Pressure Transient Analysis of Naturally Fractured Reservoirs. Trans. AIME 256, 451–461 (1969)Google Scholar
- 3.Hill, Thomas, G.: A New Approach for Simulating Complex Fractured Reservoirs. In: Reservoir Simulation Symposium, Dallas (1985)Google Scholar
- 4.Clemo, T.M., Smith, L.: Solute transport in fractured media: Dual permeability models. EOS 70(43) (1989)Google Scholar
- 6.Karimi-Fard, M., Firoozabadi, A.: Numerical simulation of water injection in 2D fractured media using discrete-fracture model. Paper SPE 71615 Presented at the 2001 SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition held in New Orleans, Louisiana, September 30-October 3 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Yao, J.: Numerical simulation method of discrete fracture network for naturally fractured reservoirs. Acta Petrolei Sinica 31(2), 284–288 (2010)Google Scholar