A Novel Threshold-Based Dynamic Load Balancing Algorithm Using Mobile Agent in Distributed System
As a fundamental problem in distributed system, load balancing is important to achieving scalability, guarantee system fairness and avoid performance degradation. To efficient utilization of all available resources, we need the concept of load balancing to be added in this area. In message-passing based approaches, the nodes have to exchange messages of load information periodically in order to make decisions on load balancing. The message exchanges result in high communication latency and thus deteriorate the performance of the system. In this paper, we propose a novel threshold-based dynamic load balancing approach which uses mobile agent (MA) because MA based approaches have the merits of flexibility, low network traffic, efficiency, less communication latency, as well as highly asynchronous. The effectiveness of proposed load balancing approach is evaluated by extensive simulation under a dataset including 7000 different connected graphs. Our results show a significant improvement in network traffic compared with the traditional message passing based approach.
KeywordsLoad Balancing mobile agents distributed system load information threshold dynamic network traffic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jimenez, J.B.: Robin Hood: An Active Objects Load Balancing Mechanism for Intranet. In: 18th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Nehra, N., Patel, R.B., Bhat, V.K.: Load Balancing in Heterogeneous P2P Systems using Mobile Agents. In: World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Patel, R.B., Aggarwal, N.: Load Balancing on Open Networks A Mobile Agent Approach. Journal of Computer Science (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Cao, J., Wang, X., Das, S.K.: A framework of using cooperating mobile agents to achieve load sharing in distributed web server groups. Future Generation Computer Systems (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Wen, Y.J., Wang, S.D.: Minimizing Migration on Grid Environments: An Experience on Sun Grid Engine. Journal of Information Technology and Applications (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Renand, W., Beard, R.: Consensus seeking in multi agent systems under dynamically Changing interaction Topologies. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Yagoubi, B., Lillia, H.T., Moussa, H.S.: Load Balancing in Grid Computing. Asian Journal of Information Technology (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Huang, M.C., Hosseini, S., Vairavan, K.: A receiver-initiated load balancing method in computer networks using fuzzy logic control. In: IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, GLOBECOM (2003)Google Scholar