An Optimum Checkpointing-Based Fault Tolerant Algorithm Using Mobile Agent in Distributed Systems
Traditional message passing based checkpointing and rollback recovery algorithms perform well for tightly coupled systems. In wide area distributed systems these algorithms may suffer from large overhead due to message passing delay and network traffic. Mobile agent (MA) provides a new technology for implementing fault tolerant mechanism in distributed systems. MA has the merits of flexibility, low network traffic, efficiency, less communication latency, as well as highly asynchronous. So to design checkpointing and rollback recovery algorithms for wide area distributed systems, mobile agents are introduced. One of effective factors on performance of mobile agent based algorithms is number of migrations. In this paper we propose an optimum mobile agent based checkpointing protocol which attempts to eliminate useless migrations in different phases of checkpointing algorithm. The proposed algorithm will improve performance and network traffic greatly.
The effectiveness of proposed algorithms is evaluated by extensive simulation under a dataset including 7000 different connected graphs. Our results show a significant improvement in number of migrations and average execution time when these solutions are simulated.
KeywordsFault Tolerant distributed system checkpointing mobile agent coordinated checkpointing CGS rollback recovery non-blocking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mandal, P. S., Mukhopadhyaya, K.: Checkpointing Using Mobile Agents in Distributed Systems. In: International Conference on Computing: Theory and Applications (ICCTA 2007). IEEE (2007) Google Scholar
- 2.Mandal, P.S., Mukhopadhyaya, K.: Checkpointing and recovery algorithms using mobile agents on a hamiltonian topology. In: The 6th International Conference on High Performance Computing in Asia Pacific Region (2002) Google Scholar
- 3.Cao, J., Chan, G.H., Dillon, T.S., Jia, W.: Checkpointing and rollback of wide-area distributed applications using mobile agents. In: The IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Mandal, P.S., Mukhopadhyaya, K.: Mobile Agent Based Checkpointing with Concurrent Initiators. International Journal of Foundations of Computer Science (2007) Google Scholar
- 5.Elnozahy (Mootaz), E.N., Alvisi, L., Wang, Y.M., Johnson, D.B.: A Survey of Rollback-Recovery Protocols in Message-Passing Systems (2002) Google Scholar