Whither BNCOD? The Future of Database and Information Systems Research
The British National Conference on Databases (bncod), now in its 27th edition, has covered a broad range of database research topics: from the purely theoretical, to more application-oriented subjects. It has proved to be a forum for intellectual debate, and has fostered a sense of community amongst British and overseas database researchers.
Databases have been incredibly successful with most businesses relying on them. However, there are still plenty of challenges that remain to be solved. This paper reflects back on the successes of the bncod series, and identifies the challenges that remain, thus showing the continuing importance of the bncod conference series.
KeywordsData Stream Query Processing Database Research Information System Research Intellectual Debate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agrawal, R., Ailamaki, A., Bernstein, P.A., Brewer, E.A., Carey, M.J., Chaudhuri, S., Doan, A., Florescu, D., Franklin, M.J., Garcia-Molina, H., Gehrke, J., Gruenwald, L., Haas, L.M., Halevy, A.Y., Hellerstein, J.M., Ioannidis, Y.E., Korth, H.F., Kossmann, D., Madden, S., Magoulas, R., Ooi, B.C., O’Reilly, T., Ramakrishnan, R., Sarawagi, S., Stonebraker, M., Szalay, A.S., Weikum, G.: The claremont report on database research. Commun. ACM 52(6), 56–65 (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Aroyo, L., Antoniou, G., Hyvönen, E., ten Teije, A., Stuckenschmidt, H., Cabral, L., Tudorache, T. (eds.): ESWC 2010, Part I. LNCS, vol. 6088, pp. 213–227. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Deen, S.M., Hammersley, P. (eds.): Proceedings of the First British National Conference on Databases (BNCOD-1), Jesus College, Cambridge, 13-14 July 1982 (1981)Google Scholar
- 4.Fifth International Conference on e-Science and Grid Computing, e-Science 2009, December 9-11. IEEE Computer Society, Oxford (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Szalay, A.S.: Scientific publishing in the era of petabye data. JCDL, 261–262 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Tatbul, N.: Streaming data integration: Challenges and opportunities. In: Proceedings of IEEE ICDE International Workshop on New Trends in Information Integration (NTII 2010), Long Beach, California, USA (March 2010)Google Scholar